Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Laptop LCD Screen Repair — Parallax Forums

Laptop LCD Screen Repair

I got a parts/repair computer off Ebay for $20 to support my fleet of Toshiba CL45's. After a BIOS reset, I found that the computer worked except for the LCD panel's LED backlight. The screen was dark, but if you shined a flashlight at it you could tell the screen was working. Plus, it put out a working HDMI signal to a TV set. There is little to no info on repairing these, so I was about to start swapping LCD screens with another laptop to isolate the problem. Finally I found this Russian guy's video at which gave me just enough info to determine that my LCD panel had a tiny blown SMT fuse on the 19V side which powers the LED backlight array. A bit of multimeter probing, a tad of soldering and I'm back in business now. BTW, used replacement panels are available for most computers for $40-60. I wonder if many "bad" panels simply have a 2-cent blown fuse. If so, this problem is just as significant as the bad capacitor issue that makes people throw out TVs and monitors after 3 years. Never say die!
2560 x 1920 - 1M
1920 x 2560 - 1M
2560 x 1920 - 1M

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    If you think those are trivial reasons for tossing laptops in the land fill checkout Louis Rossmann on what Apple is up to when it comes to repairing their stuff:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    Pretty sad! Somewhat like Tesla's monopoly on parts & service. This guy Rich is famous for fixing and frankensteining salvaged Teslas together by brute force, trial & error. Tesla doesn't condone his efforts and won't even talk to the guy. He perseveres anyway and has quite a Youtube following.