Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problem Loading program with Simple IDE - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

Problem Loading program with Simple IDE

124»

Comments

• bitnerd wrote: »
    I have a PC running Windows 8.1 and a Parallax USB to Serial converter #28030. No matter what, I get a Download error of -1 with SimpleIDE, but the Propeller Tool works fine with "spin".

Please don't tell me to "update the USB driver" because I have tried them all from Parallax and the FTDI website. Please help.

(I had the same problem with another PC running Windows 10 and did fix the problem by updating the USB driver.

---update--

I tried the Parallax USB to Serial converter #28030 on a Windows XP machine. Same result.

I also tried the XP machine with a serial cable, the machine has a serial port. The Propeller IDE worked fine. Simple IDE had the same Download -1 error.
    I update the USB Converted drivers, but it still didn't work for SimpleIDE.

• Do you have a copy of the log output window from simpleIDE?

Where did you download your copy of simpleIDE from?

Have you tried using FlexGUI? (see if that will even work)
    https://github.com/totalspectrum/flexgui/releases/tag/v4.3.1
    https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/170730/flexgui-a-complete-programming-system-for-p2-and-p1/p1
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    bitnerd wrote: »
    I have a PC running Windows 8.1 and a Parallax USB to Serial converter #28030. No matter what, I get a Download error of -1 with SimpleIDE, but the Propeller Tool works fine with "spin".

Please don't tell me to "update the USB driver" because I have tried them all from Parallax and the FTDI website. Please help.

(I had the same problem with another PC running Windows 10 and did fix the problem by updating the USB driver.

What Propeller board are you using? I was in the same situation, getting error -1 with SimpleIDE though PropTool worked, but I was using a homemade Prop board. Once I switched to a Parallax board, the error went away.
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2020-09-03 10:14
    I think I know what is happening. (ok, at least with WIFI modules)

I ran a C demo using SimpleIDE
    I changed one line
     wifi_start(31, 30, 115200, WX_ALL_COM);

To
     wifi_start(31, 30, 115200, 8);

I also tried the various different other modes.
     wifi_start(31, 30, 115200, USB_PGM_TERM);

I tried this too...
     wifi_start(31, 30, 115200, USB_PGM);

After I ran those changes, now I cannot get my WX wifi device to accept any program with any downloader program, its permanently broken and I don't know what I did.
    Even when I changed the code back to
     wifi_start(31, 30, 115200, WX_ALL_COM);

It still won't work.
    Uploading a new .OTA file DOES NOT WORK. Some code not changed with the OTA file is getting trashed.
    I know this is a FACT, because I tried using FlexGUI with the ParallaxWX device that was somehow changed, and NOW EVEN FLEXGUI CANNOT UPLOAD A PROGRAM.
    Anyone else have the ability to re-upload their WX code wanna send one of those WIFI_start command and see if it breaks the uploading of code over wifi?
    @"David Betz"

I have a SECOND ParallaxWx module that I didn't use that C code with and it works fine with FlexGUI and SimpleIDE, just checked both.
    So one of those commands DOES INDEED brick a ParallaxWx module.

The ParallaxWX module has a bug, I am now looking at doing a full reset programming using my FULL ERASE AND UPLOAD of the Parallax WX code.
    https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1453097/#Comment_1453097

And I need to do that on a linux system, because I don't have the setup on a winbox... brb gotta do that now.
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2020-09-03 10:30
    I re-flashed the entire Parallax-Esp code in linux, using https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1453097/#Comment_1453097

The WX-Parallax-ESP module works properly again.

Uhh, don't program C code to your propeller chip using one of these, I don't want to do it again, so im not sure if its just the first one, because I would need to re-flash it again.
     wifi_start(31, 30, 115200, 8);
     wifi_start(31, 30, 115200, USB_PGM_TERM);
     wifi_start(31, 30, 115200, USB_PGM);

Actually I tried all 3 again and NONE DO IT anymore. I don't know what the hell was happening.
    Perhaps some local moron accessed my ESP device and was messing with it...
    The AP mode page doesn't have a password entry....
    I don't normally use that mode, but for prototyping its easier.

I wish the Parallax WX esp module had the MAC address of the connection requests in the DEBUG LOG.

The communications baud rate kept changing from 115200 to 460800.

Its possible the old flash didn't have the newer code that is now flashed to it.. I don't know.

FLASH YOUR WX MODULES TO THE LATEST CODE PEOPLE... lol.
    If you don't have linux or its too complicated to do, send me a PM and I will try to help you.