Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can I use lithium ion batteries in my activitybot — Parallax Forums

Can I use lithium ion batteries in my activitybot

I have got the activitybot 360 which I have heard that when the alkaline batteries get low the servos go crazy and don't run straight. I tried to fix my problem by using the lithium ion batteries and when I put them in the bot and programmed it, it did nothing then I put the alkaline batteries in it and it ran the programmed. I need help please give me suggestions.

Comments

• Parallax makes a Li-ion power pack/charger specifically for their small (Boe-Bot) robots. Take a look at it.

I can't really tell you why your lithium ion batteries didn't work with your bot ... it depends so much on the specifics of the batteries you were using.
  • Do you have the servo motor jumper on Vin for 12/13?
    Are the encoder yellow wires power jumper set to Vdd for 14/15?

Should it work with LiOn batteries? If the voltage range is acceptable for the servos, yes. 5-7V or thereabouts should be fine. Check your power supply at the 2.1mm jack with a voltmeter and see what voltage you get from batteries.

You might be talking about NiMH batteries, are you? These come in an AA form factor. If you're really talking about LiOn then the batteries may be 3.7V each (even though they're in an AA alkaline format which is normally 1.5V).

Like Mike said above, it all depends. Show us exactly what you are doing and then we can guide you. You're entering the wide-open world of real electronics so anything is possible. Until now, most of the robots you've encountered don't give you this kind of freedom to experiment.

Ken Gracey
  • I have used the Servo 360s with Lipo batteries which work great at the 7.8 to 8 volts range. That would be a 2S Lipo and not a 3S Lipo.

Mike