Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Onshape - a very nice free parametric 3D modeler — Parallax Forums

Onshape - a very nice free parametric 3D modeler

Following the discussions on 3d printer threads i would like to point you to Onshape: onshape.com

It is a complete and professional parametric 3D modeler, that compares (according to the website) to big guys like Solidworks or Inventor.

The novelty is it works on line only, so no installation required on the PC, only a recent browser is required.

On phones and tablet it works using a dedicated app. Mind on the mobile devices it's not a simple viewer, you can work and model on them.

Finally there is a free version with almost all the featues (with some revision/control exceptions). Only limitation is with a free account the models are public.

I started using it to create some adapters to be 3d printed and I like it very much.

Massimo

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    It looks like a nice program, but I refuse to use programs that charge "per month" for use.

Bean
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2018-04-13 16:46
    Yeah, it's public work, or you pay for privacy.

If you've got a modeler license that perpetual, keep hold of it. Those are going away rapidly. I suggest getting it into a VM now.

That said, if you can allow your design to be public, OnShape is very capable. Made by the same crew (mostly) that did Solidworks. Interestingly, they chose a git style of revision control. Very cool.

It's a Parasolid engine, not a mesh modeler like Autodesk 360 is. This may matter, if you are doing CNC work on the finished models.

Both 360 and OnShape produce nice STL files.

I have done a respectable model or two on my Note 8 phone. Spiffy!

What I'll do is create, export, delete. I often don't need history.

• max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    I usually model small components/adapters to be 3D printed, and they are so context specific that any privacy question is pointless.

I had a perpetual license of Alibre, but perpetual is not really meaning perpetual....

I like your VM suggestion! Never tought of that!

Thanks,
    Massimo
  • For many licenses, the network MAC address is used as the identifier. Just know that.

:D
  • OnShape isn't bad and I've used it when teaching basic solid modeling in classes and students can use it without a large install. Personally I've moved to Fusion360 as it's free for <$100k business/educators/hobby folk and the integrated CAM is great. The model app is less functional than OnShape, but otherwise I'm very happy with it. I still drop things in OnShape sometimes for teaching or showing folks remotely.