Practical uses for 3D printers

2»

Comments

  • I'm metalworking challenged, so here an example of how a 3D printer is going to help.

    3 display bezels coming up! They can double as glare shields. Just don't look under anything ;)




    1210 x 908 - 255K
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,326
    edited 2018-05-03 - 07:45:53
    Here it is in the field. 3 week project including installation. 0.25 mm accuracy moving three 150 lbs actuators with closed loop feedback. The 3D printing stuff is cool too.
    2048 x 1152 - 493K
  • xanadu wrote: »
    Here it is in the field.

    Is that a pun? :-)
  • Keith YoungKeith Young Posts: 569
    edited 2018-05-03 - 23:16:22
    Fixed my snowblower for one:

  • Or ... you could just move to a more benign climate. :)

    -Phil
  • Hugh wrote: »
    xanadu wrote: »
    Here it is in the field.

    Is that a pun? :-)

    A record, 2,876 mile pun.



  • ercoerco Posts: 19,738
    The May/June SERVO has a review of STARTT's $99 3D printer kit. I don't have one and can't recommend it as a practical 3D printer, but I must admit it's remarkable that they can sell all the parts for that price.

  • erco wrote: »
    The May/June SERVO has a review of STARTT's $99 3D printer kit. I don't have one and can't recommend it as a practical 3D printer, but I must admit it's remarkable that they can sell all the parts for that price.

    I have one. It works really well. The only reason it is gathering dust is because I wanted to print things larger than the size of its bed. It's low price is probably akin to drug dealers handing out a free sample - they have you hooked and then you start spending lots of money.

    486 x 803 - 66K
  • Hugh wrote: »

    I have one. It works really well. The only reason it is gathering dust is because I wanted to print things larger than the size of its bed. It's low price is probably akin to drug dealers handing out a free sample - they have you hooked and then you start spending lots of money.

    Before I order this-- By what mechanism do I get hooked? Because I will want to order the same company's bigger model? Because I am locked into their proprietary filament? Because there is a software lock and I have to pay on a per-print basis? Depending on what the catch is, I would like to order this tonight.

    Also, I will buy your old unit if you don't want it...
  • I've been researching 3D printers for awhile now. I know I still have to clear out a section of the garage and get more power outlets and lights installed, but it's still too much fun to look at the info out there. One of the best YouTube reviewers is Thomas Sanladerer. He's an engineer and has intelligent, detailed discussions about the printers he reviews.

    I suggest you look at his reviews of inexpensive 3D printers, especially the one about how the software that prevents them from overheating and catching fire is configured, before buying one.
  • The_Master wrote: »
    Hugh wrote: »

    I have one. It works really well. The only reason it is gathering dust is because I wanted to print things larger than the size of its bed. It's low price is probably akin to drug dealers handing out a free sample - they have you hooked and then you start spending lots of money.

    Before I order this-- By what mechanism do I get hooked? Because I will want to order the same company's bigger model? Because I am locked into their proprietary filament? Because there is a software lock and I have to pay on a per-print basis? Depending on what the catch is, I would like to order this tonight.

    Also, I will buy your old unit if you don't want it...
    They didn't directly benefit from my 'addiction' but I did end up buying the bigger model. No lock-ins or restrictions, just greediness for 'more good stuff' on my part.
  • Jeff Haas wrote: »
    I've been researching 3D printers for awhile now. I know I still have to clear out a section of the garage and get more power outlets and lights installed, but it's still too much fun to look at the info out there. One of the best YouTube reviewers is Thomas Sanladerer. He's an engineer and has intelligent, detailed discussions about the printers he reviews.

    I suggest you look at his reviews of inexpensive 3D printers, especially the one about how the software that prevents them from overheating and catching fire is configured, before buying one.

    Buying from an organisation with a reputation to maintain helps. Even though I use firmware that has shut down after a [supposed] thermal runaway, after looking at a few YouTube videos I bought a couple of the cheap MOSFET modules available for less than a tenner and printed a box to house the motherboard and MOSFETS that included provision for a PC fan.
Sign In or Register to comment.