Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need packaging materials? — Parallax Forums

Need packaging materials?

Order something small from Newark/Element14.

Weight of 70 uSD card sockets: 1.6oz

Weight of packaging materials: 3lbs 2.6oz

(I am keeping the nice reel)
1500 x 1000 - 513K

Comments

• At least they use the packing materials effectively. Order anything from McMaster-Carr, and they'll throw small items into a large box, along with maybe one packing pillow that rattles around in the box with the other contents.

-Phil
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2018-03-08 01:56
    At least they use the packing materials effectively. Order anything from McMaster-Carr, and they'll throw small items into a large box, along with maybe one packing pillow that rattles around in the box with the other contents.

I order quite a bit of stuff from McMaster-Carr and I have never had a problem with their packaging, nor have I received any damaged goods from them. Additionally, they always promptly fill the order and ship it.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2018-03-08 02:38
    Bruce,

I've never received damaged goods from them either. Nothing I've ever ordered from them could get damaged, for that matter. But apparently the warehouse in Chicago and the one in L.A. have different standards as far as appropriate carton size and packing materials are concerned. Not surprising, since the home office is in Chicago. :)

-Phil
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2018-03-08 03:07
    I just recently experienced the worst packaging ever.

For the new CNC I am building, I needed and in fact still need a 6" X 6" X 72" NEMA 1 Lay In Wiring Trough. I found a fair priced one online and so I placed an order. Several days later, I receive the order, but the trough is damaged. So I call the distributor and say "The trough was delivered, but it is damaged". The distributor tells me "No problem, another one will soon be on its way". So the second one shows up several days later, but this one is damaged also. So I call the distributor again and say "The second one showed up, but it is damaged also". The distributor tells me "I will have to get back with you". A day later, I get an email informing me that shipments of this product has been halted and that the purchase has been refunded. As it turns out, some idiot made the cost saving decision to tightly package this sheet metal trough with a thin layer of cardboard.... No protection whatsoever, except a thin layer of cardboard, which was in direct contact with the sheet metal. DUH
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Sometimes you wonder what people are thinking when they do things like that, more often I wonder if they think at all.
  • Sometimes you wonder what people are thinking when they do things like that, more often I wonder if they think at all.

I was discussing the situation and damage with the UPS driver (very pretty lady I might add) and she told me (to the best of my recollection), shippers are advised to provide a 4" perimeter of spacing between the packaging and contents, and if this 4" perimeter does not exist, they will not even discuss damage with the shipper.

I forgot to mention that the distributor was supposed to arrange for pickup of the damaged goods, but it appears that they are not interested in paying for the return of damaged sheet metal :)

I have not inspected both troughs side by side, but perhaps I could make one good one out of two bad ones, and if not, that will be quite a bit of free sheet metal :)