Door Opening Robot Fears

ercoerco Posts: 19,332
edited March 6 in Robotics Vote Up0Vote Down
I'm fine with this, not upset at all. Sorry but my mind isn't blown, nor am I losing sleep over a cute little door-opening robot parlor trick. Wide-eyed Kevin, did you honestly feel safer with a doorknob between you and a robot? Moravec Paradox notwithstanding, a bigger, badder bot which can simply smash through the door or blast it to kingdom come with explosives and/or a laser night be cause for concern. But certainly not this.

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • My four-footed cat Browser could've done that if his paws hadn't been so slippery. He would reach up and try to turn the knob. With some non-skid gloves, I'm sure he would've mastered the door app. Despite increasing vet bills in his later years, his expenses came nowhere near millions of dollars. Just sayin'.

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • Mind blown or not. There is some significance in us humans being able to build a machine that can do such things for the first time in history.

Certainly I would not know where to start given such a challenge.
  • ercoerco Posts: 19,332
    edited March 7 Vote Up0Vote Down
    God bless Browser!

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • 1:05--Because the dog always has it better off.
    2:22--Trading with the neighbor.
    Overall, I forsee no end of trouble.
    The greatest thing about logic is that, once you have followed the thought train, it is then your own.
  • A cat is also good as a space heater, alarm clock, and of course an exterminator.