Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Dummy Batteries - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Dummy Batteries

2»

Comments

• I'm sure it's a translation error, but you have to wonder what else is mistranslated. They mention "nickel-hydrogen" batteries (for a toy no less!) when they likely mean nickel metal hydride, a much less complex battery.

I don't speak any form of Chinese, but I've often been required to rewrite translated documents so they make sense. One common thread for documentation on mechanical devices has to do with whatever word they use for "oil." Often, even a human will translate that as "fat." So you end up with instructions telling you to apply three drops of fat to the shrubbery (oil the bushings).
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    I'm sure it's a translation error, but you have to wonder what else is mistranslated.... So you end up with instructions telling you to apply three drops of fat to the shrubbery (oil the bushings).

Hysterical. Translations and mistranslations can be quite entertaining, say the lurking skid demons.

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/33h8bk/1962_honda_riding_instructions/

9DnKHKd897hziVuetqRiMvSCPSBmkTmRqwAN2Dqq0VI.jpg?w=720&s=9a116e2e99154e4552e698c51efcc2b4

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Always got a laugh out of the Chinglish instructions that came with the early S100 and PC clone boards. Got to be pretty good at figuring them out after a while. Try translating from language A to B and then back. Most of the time it ends up as complete gibberish, but on occasion it can be absolutely hilarious.
  • kwinn wrote:
    Try translating from language A to B and then back.
    I always do that with Google Translate when I want to make sure that the original translation is accurate.

-Phil
  • Japanese, too.

A Minolta service manual translation (possibly by their own staff) for screw.

One hint: four letters.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2018-03-08 14:48
    [Honda motorcycle riding instructions]

All good and sound advice, I would say.