Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller 1 Open Source — Parallax Forums

Propeller 1 Open Source

I browsed the site and clicked on 'terasic Cyclone IV DEO-Nano .....' and got the message 'You are not authorized to access this page'.
That is very annoying!! Next time give me a heads up and I won't waste my time or interest in an area for which I am not authorized.
John

Comments

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Seems like there might be a broken link. Parallax has been reorganising their site lately.

So please explain how you received this message? What page you were on (link please) and what link you clicked on?

The verilog source equivalent for the Propeller P1 has been released by Parallax as Open Source. We refer to it as P1V on the forum. A number of us have posted modifications to this verilog source.

Perhaps a little less drama in your post please. Most, if not all here,have great respect for Parallax. There are probably no other company out there with such respect for its users. (I am not related to Parallax)
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Don't give up so easily. Links on web sites get broken all the time. Often with worse results than simply "You are not authorized"

Anyway, the open source Propeller 1 Verilog is alive and well and has been enhanced by a whole bunch of people. It now works on many FPGA boards not just the DE0 Nano.

There are ongoing discussions about it in this very forum.

Sorry I don't have any links to hand.

• I see his issue.

On https://www.parallax.com/microcontrollers/propeller-1-open-source If you click on the "Terasic Cyclone IV DE0-Nano Evaluation Board" or "Altera DE2-115 FPGA Development Board" links, you get "Access denied You are not authorized to access this page."

Sometime links break on the web. As the great John Bender once said, "Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place."

Maybe the web admin can "fix" that page.

--Terry
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2017-12-18 22:03
    Iamretired wrote: »
    I browsed the site and clicked on 'terasic Cyclone IV DEO-Nano .....' and got the message 'You are not authorized to access this page'.
    That is very annoying!! Next time give me a heads up and I won't waste my time or interest in an area for which I am not authorized.
    John

John,

As others have commented, links get broken once in a while. An email to webmaster@parallax.com will alert them to the problem.
  • ke4pjw wrote: »
    I see his issue.

On https://www.parallax.com/microcontrollers/propeller-1-open-source If you click on the "Terasic Cyclone IV DE0-Nano Evaluation Board" or "Altera DE2-115 FPGA Development Board" links, you get "Access denied You are not authorized to access this page."

Sometime links break on the web. As the great John Bender once said, "Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place."

Maybe the web admin can "fix" that page.

--Terry

Thanks Terry for narrowing that down. I just sent an email to the webmaster asking to look at the problem.

• There are a couple of broken links but click on the other links and you have access to the design files and setups etc. I can't see any real cause for complaint at all especially since there is a big button that says "Propeller 1 Design Files" that works.

Just because you are retired John doesn't mean you should be giving up easily at the first sign of a problem :)
  • I get that error message all the time when I click on links to the main Parallax website for products that no longer exist.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    Hehe, I think John took the message personally.

The not authorised message is not a guard house that you need a badge with which to pass by. It is a generic computer systems message about stored files that is easily misconfigured by accident. In this case it is probably just a non-existent file requested by the link ... and the web server software defaults to that message as a result. "Error 404 - Page not found" is another common web server message of this category.

PS: Funnily, I can't see any problem on that webpage myself but maybe it's already been repaired.

• Parallax previously sold the DE0-Nano and DE2-115 FPGA boards, but not anymore as far as I know. Unfortunately the links to the pages in the store where they used to be, are broken.

Those boards are not made by Parallax but by Terasic. You can still buy both the boards (and many other ones) from the their website at http://terasic.com.tw. The price of the DE0-Nano was recently lowered from 99 to 79 US dollars; the DE2-115 is unfortunately still almost 600 dollars.

As you may know, I maintain a fork of the Parallax Propeller 1 hardware sources at https://github.com/JacGoudsmit/P1V. Several bugs have been solved and other improvements have been made, but by default, what you get by building the P1V for one of the supported targets is still as close to the original Propeller 1 as possible. And we added support for various FPGA boards, based on both Altera and Xilinx FPGA's.

===Jac