Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The New Parallax Web Site — Parallax Forums

The New Parallax Web Site

So, I noticed that the Parallax site was down last night but now there is a brand new shinny landing page with new menu options.
Looks nice and I dig the "Getting Started " options.

https://parallax.com/

Comments

• DrPopDrPop Posts: 227
    edited 2017-11-30 04:42
    It looks nice, with a heavy emphasis toward the educational side, making the "selling" of their hardware secondary on first glance. Still, those looking to learn something will be happy to see it's not just all about "turning a buck" with a store front. Which is good, because we all know for Parallax, it's a lot more than that!

However, someone who's never been to the site before or doesn't know much about Parallax and the great community that has grown around it, might never find these forums.
    I'm going to "be that guy" and edit this to put in a small vote for moving the Parallax Forums link to fall under the Support tab. I think more "new users" would look for it there first, rather than under Following the company where it is now. Along with being a great inspiration and community, the Forums here should save Parallax time and money on field support. The Forums are the first place most go when they can't figure something out, and it's a good (usually very productive!) step in between scratching your head and calling Parallax.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Looks good. Congrats to Parallax :)
  • So it is! Looks quite nice. The landing page helps to show Parallax is not just about selling stuff (though Ken is happy when that happens!).
  • The new look comports nicely with Parallax's emphasis on education. Congrats to Parallax's web devs for a job well done!

-Phil
  • ... Interesting, no mention of Chip in the "meet our team". Not even a history tab about the company anywhere that I can find.

https://www.parallax.com/company/meet-our-team
  • ... Interesting, no mention of Chip in the "meet our team"...

No kidding? Maybe they don't have a recent pic or approved bio of him to put up yet. Or maybe he's operating quietly behind that screen over there. Or maybe...just maybe...he's secretly The Shadow! :cool: :lol:
  • DrPop wrote: »
    ... Interesting, no mention of Chip in the "meet our team"...

No kidding? Maybe they don't have a recent pic or approved bio of him to put up yet. Or maybe he's operating quietly behind that screen over there. Or maybe...just maybe...he's secretly The Shadow! :cool: :lol:

It's more prominent than you guys might have seen - it's the "About" page https://www.parallax.com/company/about-us

Ken Gracey

• DrPop wrote: »
    However, someone who's never been to the site before or doesn't know much about Parallax and the great community that has grown around it, might never find these forums.
    I'm going to "be that guy" and edit this to put in a small vote for moving the Parallax Forums link to fall under the Support tab. I think more "new users" would look for it there first, rather than under Following the company where it is now. Along with being a great inspiration and community, the Forums here should save Parallax time and money on field support. The Forums are the first place most go when they can't figure something out, and it's a good (usually very productive!) step in between scratching your head and calling Parallax.

I'll get this message over to the team so we can link the forums from the right place. - Ken
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Amazing what you miss when you're not looking for something in particular ;)
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »

It's more prominent than you guys might have seen - it's the "About" page https://www.parallax.com/company/about-us

Alright! Man, he gets top billing around here after all with the full bio. :-D Very nicely done! It looks great and I like the history about Chip in there, some was new for me to read. Congrats on the new site.
  • DrPopDrPop Posts: 227
    edited 2017-11-30 06:00
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    DrPop wrote: »
    ... put in a small vote for moving the Parallax Forums link to fall under the Support tab.

I'll get this message over to the team so we can link the forums from the right place. - Ken

Thanks for considering it. I should clarify that I see the "Post on our Discussion Forums" link on the support page below phone options, but what I meant by my comment above was if you might consider putting it in the blue drop down menu that opens when you hover the mouse over the Support tab. (It currently shows up in the blue drop down menu when hovering over the Company tab instead.)
    But that was just my first thought, and maybe others have better ideas?
  • It looks really nice, but I think the menu could be improved.
    • Move "Company>Follow Us>Learn" to be a top-level item, right next to Teach. Don't hide it two levels down!
    • Add a new Community group under Support and move "Company>Follow Us" and "Company>Forums" under that.
    • Move "Company>Follow Us>OBEX" under "Support>Downloads".
    • Swap the order of "Support>Open Source Designs" and "Support>Microcontrollers".
    • Move :"Support>Microcontrollers>Propeller 1 Open Source" to "Support>Open Source Designs".
    • There are two "OEM" entries under "Support>Microcontrollers". Clarify them as "Propeller OEM" and "Basic Stamp OEM".
  • "It's more prominent than you guys might have seen - it's the "About" page https://www.parallax.com/company/about-us" - KG

Ok, I stand corrected..... perhaps banner blindness played a roll here, but that shouldn't be the case on a "new" page.