Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problem with getting Stamp homework Board to connect CPU. — Parallax Forums

Problem with getting Stamp homework Board to connect CPU.

I recently purchased 10 homework boards for a mentoring project at my local Tech High School.
I configured 5 boards with Leds, Beeper, A/D, basic stuff. All Linked to my laptop Wins 7.
However, I can not get linked to my laptop Wins 10. It does link to two older Stamp Board of Education,
one RS232 and one USB. I spoke with Megel in Support, He had received no problems with Win 10,
and suggested cable or CPU Port problem. I have same problem on different ports and cables.
I downloaded the latest FITI Driver Software. New battery,9.3V. Configured several ports.
I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks, redrover

Comments

• Have you tried removing the extra stuff (LEDs, Beeper, etc.)? It's always better to test boards without extra parts. Other people have used Win 10 successfully.
  • Mike,
    Thanks for the info...
    I have 4 new Homework PCBs. No componets.
    The first one I tied..linked. I rhought, voltage drop problem.
    Bat = 9.4 on board. Regulator out 5.01V. good.
    The next board and other 2 would not link.
    They all had 5.02V
    Looked at old Edu Board. Bat = 9.3, Regulator = 4,97, With componets.
    It still links. Volts does not seem to be be a problem.
    I am going by the school and downloading Stamp Editor and Driver on their computers.
    I am sure that they do not have Wins 10. It should be OK.
    Thanks.
  • Hmm... Miguel is aware of my problems for the last several weeks with WIN10 and two homework boards, and I have tried everything to get mine to work with no success. Brand new laptop with no added programs, two Rev A homework boards, new cables, new batteries, etc. Trying to connect the two bare HW Boards only results in error message of No BASIC Stamps Found.

I have installed the proper drivers (CDM21216) (three times) for the WIN 10 OS and even after changing the USB COM Port Latency to 1ms, the issue with no BASIC Stamps found still remains, although the Identify facility shows the port to be connected to the Homework Board with YES/YES for Loopback/Echo. I am using BS Editor Ver.253r2, which I have installed three times to be sure.

I replaced the batteries. Reloaded BS Editor for WIN 10, reloaded proper drivers, rechecked latency on every available USB port, and did this all for both of the two Homework boards that I have. Nothing allows the HW Boards to be recognized. However, I can successfully connect with my SumoBots, Scribbler 2, BOE, Propeller Activity Boards, and QuickStart boards. So I know my ports are working. Any assistance is appreciated.

Sorry, Redrover, for pretty much taking over your thread. Hopefully we will both get help from the expert folks here. Thank you.
  • I miss Chris. He would be on this until satisfaction was found.
  • George,
    So you have Homework Boards that will not link with Win 10, also..
    Like I said, These were new boards and only one out of six would link.
    Got to be compatibility problem with 10. I will not get a chance to go
    by the school for a week or so. If they have Win 7 or previous, I will be OK.
    I just will not be able to use my Win 10 laptop. If you find a cure be sure and post.
    Sorry I did not respond sooner.
    redrover
  • Hi George,

Do know what version of FTDI driver you have installed on your Windows 10 PC?

Is this a school PC or is this happening on your personal PC?

Thanks
    Miguel
  • Hi Redrover

That last post be me was meant for you. I've been testing the Homework boards here in the office and I have yet to hit a snag.

Do know what version of FTDI driver you have installed on your Windows 10 PC? This might help narrow it down

Is this a school PC or is this happening on your personal PC?
  • Miguel & George,.
    I am using the latest version FTDI Driver, 2.12.16(r2). Deleted older versions.
    This is my personal PC, Dell latitude E5420. Windows 10 Pro.

I just downloaded Driver, too be sure,
    same result. Connected to old usb Board of Education,
    one of the Homework boards that has worked. Both connect.OK.
    Will not connect to the other Homework pcbs. with and without componets.
    The USB led lamps do blink at power on but go out when I
    I go to edit port screen. Thanks,
    redrover
  • Still no success on my end. Two useless homework boards taking up space. I suppose I will have to admit that these are manufacturer defective and look elsewhere. Arduino boards are very hard to beat.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,248
    C'mon Parallax! Please help out here, redrover & George are frustrated and talking Ard... the Dark Side.
  • erco, thanks for the plug. You and several others here are why I stick around. I truly value experience (both here and in my professional life), and there is no replacing that.

Things here have taken a dive in my opinion the last few years. I really feel like an abandoned customer at times. I also miss Chris. Thank you for your continued assistance here on the forums.
  • xanadu,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried it several times, but I will try once again. It will not hurt! Thanks again.
  • Oddly enough Windows Update will properly download the proper drivers under normal circumstances. FTDI tells me that it is supposed to just work. At one point on this laptop I did indeed download fresh ones, and instruct Windows to skip the Update search and then making use of those.

It's possible that Windows 10 has managed to badly farble things rather badly. This presupposes that the OS can't grok things.

Matter fact there's a rumor that people are rejecting that release in favor of 8 or 8.1 or even a last known of 7.
    ---
    Interesting the erco robots are off doing hurricane duty.
  • Thanks for the comments. I will keep this in mind. And I do sort of miss Win8.1 come to think of it.
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2017-09-06 17:21
    If the following is true, it sounds like a combination of problems.

1. All boards connect via Windows 7.
    2. Only one board connects via Windows 10.
    3. The same USB cable was used.

It doesn't really add up. It's hard to say it's a driver or OS issue, and impossible to say it's a hardware (BS2) issue.

The only thing I could guess is the COM ports are conflicting with some other device, but that's a long shot as well. Maybe try forcing a different COM port in device manager?

Second to that, Dell does not officially support Windows 10 on your laptop. If you can figure out the chipset, try the manufacturer's site for Windows 10 chipset drivers. You probably have a bunch of "compatibility" drivers and chances are other things on the laptop might not work. Another solution could be to downgrade to an earlier version of Windows.

• Latest FTDI drivers installed. Everything in my August 1 post retried. Other BS2 devices work, just not the Homework Boards. Trashing them and replacing with Arduino for my kids. Will continue to look at Propeller.
  • Latest FTDI drivers installed. Everything in my August 1 post retried. Other BS2 devices work, just not the Homework Boards. Trashing them and replacing with Arduino for my kids. Will continue to look at Propeller.

Whoa, I hope you get a second opinion on their health, I take a sick BS2 over the alien Arduino any day. :lol:
  • Understand. But Arduino works. And recently has great customer support, something sadly declining since Chris's departure. That means lots to me.
  • Understand. But Arduino works. And recently has great customer support, something sadly declining since Chris's departure. That means lots to me.

Have you talked to Miguel?

• I hope no one feels abandoned by anyone at Parallax. Please give Miguel a chance, he might not be Chris but he has done a great job.
  • I have conversed with Miguel in July and he offered some advice, which is included in my August 1 post. Thanks for the comments everyone.
  • George & Miguel,
    Sorry I have taken so long to update you on the Linking Homework PCB to Win 10.
    I never did get linked to my Win10 Laptop...Gave up.
    However, all are working OK with the Schools Win 10. Older tower models.
    (Well, except for one PC. It appears that the driver software does not download.)
    I have completed 3 classes, 7 students are really enjoying the Stamp.
    Redrover
  • George SuttonGeorge Sutton Posts: 180
    edited 2017-09-27 17:25
    My two Homework Boards are not usable on my WIN 10 Laptop or on WIN 7 PC. Abandoning the boards and replacing them with Arduino, Micro:Bit, and ESP8266 (Adafruit Feather). Will still be evaluating Propeller 1, and the old BS2 stuff is great, but customer service experience has me looking elsewhere for lots of my personal and family hobbyist interests.

I have several BOE-Bots (two), a bunch of BOE Kits (USB and Parallel), SumoBots (two), Quickstarts (six), Scribbler 2 (two), and they all work fine. I have two older Propeller Activity Boards and they are also fine. I like that the Propeller can introduce my kids to "C" language and the Blockly experience is really nice for kids. But they can do all of this and more (JavaScript, MicroPython, graphical, etc.) with the other boards, albeit without the same level of help from the resident forum experts (thanks to all of you).

No hard feelings toward Parallax, and I will continue to seek solutions for various Parallax project needs from them. But not having someone reach out to me beyond one or two emails is not what Parallax used to be.
  • George Sutton,

Call up Parallax Tech Support.
    https://www.parallax.com/support

Your boards might be faulty so see if a new board works. Tech Support can examine your boards and send you replacements.

Parallax is great company and they have wonderful support so don't give up on them because of one issue.
  • Hi redrover & George

Give me a call (916) 624-8333 I look more into what is happening with these boards.

Miguel