Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Finally been able to buy a Raspberry Pi Zero — Parallax Forums

Finally been able to buy a Raspberry Pi Zero

Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
edited 2017-06-11 08:34 in General Discussion
Had to come to the UK to be able to buy a Pi Zero at a reasonable price. Cannot believe they are still so hard to get!

When I get home later this week, I will have to get it compiling P1 code and downloading, then being a terminal to my P8XBlade2 boards :)

And I will have to try MMBasic too !

Comments

• Funny how it seems to help when you can go to the source. Let us know how it all works out.
    Jim
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    Had to come to the UK to be able to buy a Pi Zero at a reasonable price. Cannot believe they are still so hard to get!

When I get home later this week, I will have to get it compiling P1 code and downloading, then being a terminal to my P8XBlade2 boards :)

It's to bad you had to travel so far to get one :lol:

It will be interesting to see what you do with yours, keep us posted.
    Hadn't done much with mine except run a Python 3 idle script to log temperature. Oh yes and play with the music synthesis app in Raspbian. Hoping to get a Propeller connected to it someday.
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,652
    I was in Chicago this weekend so I stopped by the Micro Center. They had plenty of Pi Zeros both with and without WiFi. PiZeroW were $10 for 1 and $15 each for 2 or more. Same with PiZero. $5 for 1 and $10 each for 2 or more. Crazy.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2017-06-11 21:00
    I bought my Pi Zero from Pi Hut for UK4.80 + 2.50 postage. They will only sell one at a time. Pimoroni was the same but no stock.

IIRC the Pi Zero was released a year ago. Wonder why they still cannot meet demand, or is this artificial due to the low price???

BTW very nice little board :)
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,184
    edited 2017-06-13 14:05
    It is because of the Foundation.

----
    Odd, erco why were all of your bots at LAX International Departures today? It seems that they deciding which three go on a long flight.....
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Cluso99,
    Wonder why they still cannot meet demand, or is this artificial due to the low price???
    This has been much discussed on the Pi forums. As far as I can make out the Pi Zero is not manufactured by the usual Pi suppliers it is manufactured by the Pi Foundation itself. The ussual suppliers don't want to make it because at the price the Foundation wants it to sell at they cannot make a profit.

Also, as it stands ramping up production of the Zero would mean producing less of the other Pi models which is not attractive to the other suppliers.

I suspect the Foundation would rather spend what it has on furthering it's educational mission rather than investing in more production capacity.
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-06-12 00:59
    They are looking long term on the hardware, years. They will get one into the hands that want one, eventually. Like to see the pick and place in action. It is a pretty little board, so perfect.

BTW: Keep it in house.
  • K2K2 Posts: 691
    The Pi Zero is entirely off my radar screen. The effort to internalize it would be wasted.

On an entirely different note, I've purchased more than 60 Asian pro mini boards in the last couple of months. Average price - $1.55, shipping included. They can't do everything, but they can do a lot of things, especially if you eschew library functions and take a more direct approach to the hardware.
  • Cluso99 wrote: »

Oh wow...I was wishing for someone to try this very combo!