Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
??Power XBee vs Parallax WiFi module — Parallax Forums

??Power XBee vs Parallax WiFi module

Yes, I went ahead and purchased a ESP8266 NodeMCU module, and doing some experimentation it looks like the module uses a lot of power. Does the same thing occur with the Parallax WiFi module?

Since the project that I am working on uses battery power, I have a big concern for things that are very power hungry. I was working with a Rapberry Pi 3, and discontinued that because of the power consumption issues. In fact the ESP8266 module uses just as much power as the Raspberry Pi 3.

What I need to know is, if the Acitivity WX Board combined with the Parallax WiFi module, will also be, just as power hungry? If so, then I just might have to stick with an Activity Board/XBee combination, I find that combo to be relatively easier on the power consumption, at least my battery charger can still charge the battery with the devices connected. Anybody have any data on the Parallax WiFi module/AB WX power consumption combined with a 6V SLA battery?

Thanks

Ray

Comments

• The Product Guide:

https://www.parallax.com/downloads/parallax-wx-esp8266-wi-fi-module-product-guide

quotes "Typical 75ma, with Wi-Fi transmit peaks up t0 360 ma"
  • I was trying to get an idea of what a baseline power usage figure would be for the AB WX and the Parallax WiFi module, combined.

The way the system will be used is, the WiFi module will always be on, uses 360 ma, and do I make an assumption that the AB WX will be using, what, 780 ma, so the combination of the two will be using at least an 1 Amp of power, just working with no other power loads. The product guide for the AB WX shows up to 1.8A, but does not list what the base value for the board is.

I was just thinking, an Acitivity Bot with the WiFi module plus the Li-ion power pak attached, using the servos, a recharge will be necessary after a half hour of usage? Not being negative, just trying to get some
    information.

Ray
  • As Publison says.

Those specs are a bit more "real world" than the specs in the ESP8266 datasheet which cover a slightly narrower band of use cases.

You will find any board based on the ESP8266 module (which the Parallax WiFi is also, based on the FCC/CE approved version of the ESP8266) to have about the same current consumption, as apart from a couple leds, most the power "cost" is in the ESP module.

As for XBee, they come in a fair range, and some spec. 50mA, others 300mA. Depends on the tx/rx power needed, which is mostly according to what sort of range and throughput you need really. For sure some of the low-power XBee's are super handy as local project controllers!
  • The 360 ma for the Wi-Fi module is only during transmit. It is 75 ma at idle per the documentation.

I'm not sure what the idle current of the AB-WX is. All depends on what's going on, ( LED's, ADC measuring, etc.)

• Ray- the power won't be always 360mA. It will vary depending on current transmission state... ie., whilst not transmitting you will consume less than 70mA. I don't have the ESP8266 datasheet to hand, but try a search for that first, as it breaks down the expected current in a few usage scenarios.

Search for: ESP-WROOM-01 or ESP8266 datasheet (the first one is the FCC approved version which Parallax uses, so that datasheet might have some better elaborated information. The modules current consumption will be about the same though).