Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Congratulations CA, USA. ENOUGH? — Parallax Forums

Congratulations CA, USA. ENOUGH?

MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
edited 2017-01-28 04:35 in General Discussion
For heading in a positive precipitation level:

http://www.nbcnews.com/slideshow/back-back-storms-pound-northern-california-n705686

a lttle at a time please

EDIT: Here's to the firefighters.

Comments

• They say the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so I guess we can stop complaining about the drought...

Water relocation is apparently now a hobby of mine. I pumped roughly 4,000 gallons out of my backyard since Saturday and ~2,500 from my under my neighbor's house last night (and its still going). My new little sump pump has been a real trooper. Really looking forward to the break over the next few days.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    Wow, Norcal is def taking a beating. Ken says there's so much snow he's still trapped on the other side of Donner Summit and can't even make it in to Parallax. He's got those webinars starting next week, so hopefully the snow lets up.

Meanwhile, down south here in LA it's just wetter than normal. I hope the rain lets up Sunday so I don't get too wet running a half marathon in Carlsbad.
  • Yea Global Cooling!
  • erco wrote: »
    Wow, Norcal is def taking a beating. Ken says there's so much snow he's still trapped on the other side of Donner Summit and can't even make it in to Parallax. He's got those webinars starting next week, so hopefully the snow lets up.

Meanwhile, down south here in LA it's just wetter than normal. I hope the rain lets up Sunday so I don't get too wet running a half marathon in Carlsbad.

Good to know about LA. I've got family over in Eureka area... Oh your robots left early for their walking tour of Asia...

• They say the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so I guess we can stop complaining about the drought...

Water relocation is apparently now a hobby of mine. I pumped roughly 4,000 gallons out of my backyard since Saturday and ~2,500 from my under my neighbor's house last night (and its still going). My new little sump pump has been a real trooper. Really looking forward to the break over the next few days.

I hope you have a good break in precipitation, from what I had seen in the news recently, it wasn't good. And it looks like the pattern is going to continue.
    1080 x 1920 - 1023K
  • Lots of street flooding in Pismo Beach, and the road to Avila Beach(Diablo Canyon) was closed from a mud slide at the hot springs.
    And other than the Avila Pier losing another piling, That's about it, so far...

At least the Monarchs don't seem to mind the rain. They're swarming as usual.
    No rain, no rainbows... :)

-Tommy
  • Here in Idaho we've been shoveling our extra precipitation.

We've had several feet of snow fall in the last couple of days.
  • Duane Degn wrote: »
    Here in Idaho we've been shoveling our extra precipitation.

We've had several feet of snow fall in the last couple of days.

In my neck of the woods, just a couple of inches of snow all winter. Mostly rain and that bleeping freezing rain.
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-01-26 14:05
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    Lots of street flooding in Pismo Beach, and the road to Avila Beach(Diablo Canyon) was closed from a mud slide at the hot springs.
    And other than the Avila Pier losing another piling, That's about it, so far...

At least the Monarchs don't seem to mind the rain. They're swarming as usual.
    No rain, no rainbows... :)

-Tommy

Seen very few Monarch's last summer, glad to hear they are doing good in your area. Going to look into attract (feeding) them. We kept the humming birds fed last summer, it has to be stressful on them, the heat and dry spell we had was significant. I guess the best thing to do is plant drought resistant wildflowers.
    The rain is great, we really need it here in LA. Too bad our roads dissolve in the rain. They are so poorly made, huge potholes line our streets now like minefields. I should have kept my Jeep Wrangler for this.
    edited 2017-01-27 00:55
    erco wrote: »
    The rain is great, we really need it here in LA. Too bad our roads dissolve in the rain. They are so poorly made, huge potholes line our streets now like minefields. I should have kept my Jeep Wrangler for this.

I'll have to say they know how to lay a road around here. We recently got a new one: once the old road was ground up and hauled off, the limestone base was added to the original and compacted, then the ten inch layer of asphalt mixture was laid down and compacted to about six inches. @ around 100 yards per 45 minutes. Then all the farm machinery and big truck's rolling over it.

Anyway it's a new graduation of a foot from our driveway, they compensated for that. Freeze and thaw will crumble it in a few years.
    Our roads wouldn't last an hour in the freezing conditions enjoyed by the rest of the country.
    Our roads wouldn't last an hour in the freezing conditions enjoyed by the rest of the country.

Your friendly road crew is going to install a sink hole in front of your house.
    edited 2017-01-27 12:38
    To elaborate, this guy was supposedly heard dissing his local road crew.

EDIT: Not really, just alternative facts.
    232 x 130 - 6K
  • Kind of bittersweet. San Diegans are getting a real treat with the greenery. It hasn't looked like this since I moved here 10 years ago.
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    Your friendly road crew is going to install a sink hole in front of your house.

First Corvettes, next Corvairs.

First Corvettes, next Corvairs.

Yes, but you can hardly blame the museum planners. It's not like there are any underground caves in southwest Kentucky. (Okay, so they do have Really Tiny Cave National Park some 20 miles where the museum was, but who remembers that, anyway?)