Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto! — Parallax Forums

Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto!

WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
edited 2016-12-29 03:06 in Robotics
@erco and all,

Am I slow on catching the news or did everyone already know or just discover that our own eBaying, all knowing, figure 8 challenging Eric, aka, erco is Servo Magazine's new Mr. Roboto - answer columnist?

Congratulations Mr. Roboto! I can't tell you how pleased I am to see this! You ARE the perfect person for the job. I do not know anyone more enthusiastic and knowledgeable!

I will look forward to catching you each month in Servo and love that I know the author and can chat right here!

All the best to you and family in 2017!

Comments

• Wow!

I didn't know this. Congratulations erco!
  • You ARE the perfect person for the job. I do not know anyone more enthusiastic and knowledgeable!

I agree, not familiar with the magazine, but I can't imagine anyone better qualified for the position.

From the ground up, you know your stuff.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2016-12-29 03:41
    I am? Wait... what?

When did this happen?

What place is this?

All their first choices and smart guys said no, so by default... they got stuck with me. I will try to avoid disappointing & embarrassing you kind folks each month! :)

Edit: And thanks Whit, I didn't know it came out yet. Will look in on the digital edition. Likewise, a very happy 2017 (jeeperz!) to you & your family and all!
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2016-12-29 17:10
    erco wrote: »
    All their first choices and smart guys said no

Nah, that's not what happened. They asked me, and I suggested you because the column needs a robotics Einstein. I wouldn't have recommended you if I didn't think you were the perfect candidate. Dennis (who, come to think of it, was also at my suggestion) did a remarkable job with the column. I'm sure you'll bring your biological and technological distinctiveness to the hive. If nothing else, we'll revel in your design of the 0-motor walking robot.
    erco wrote: »
    I will try to avoid disappointing & embarrassing you kind folks each month! :)

Why change now?! :lol:
    If nothing else, we'll revel in your design of the 0-motor walking robot.

A fait accompli!

• Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2016-12-29 20:46
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    I agree, not familiar with the magazine, but I can't imagine anyone better qualified for the position.
    From the ground up, you know your stuff.

Guess its time for a shameless plug! :)http://www.servomagazine.com Come by and have a look around! :D
  • Guess its time for a shameless plug! :)http://www.servomagazine.com Come by and have a look around! :D

Thanks for the link, actually I had been there before. One of erco's articles, linked from a forum thread.

The magazine looks like wealth of information. I grabbed a few images from the
    "ANALOG SERVOS FOR ROBOTICS" article, and I'll read the article later.

The mobile site offers a nice layout, tiz tempting to subscribe. If it wasn't a need for hardware, I would invest in the software right now. The magazine subscription looks like money well spent.
    edited 2016-12-30 07:44
    SERVO and its sister magazine Nut & Volts are great magazines with lots of useful tech content. I'd encourage everyone to read AND write for them. Many threads here have enough interesting content to be standalone articles. Pity the poor folks who will never visit this great forum and learn from it, if you share that info through an article in SERVO or N&V, you're giving back through another channel, plus earning some extra money. It's never a bad thing to show your spouse a check earned from your hobby.

Make a 2017 resolution right now to document your next new project as you build it with the intention of writing an article. Take photos, save your napkin sketches, keep a record of the stores & websites you visited for parts and info. It's so much easier than taking your robot apart afterward to take pictures. I'd be a rich man if had a dollar for every time Martin_H said "some day I'll go back and document the build" of one of his amazing projects.

Duane, Whit, Tommy, Jim, Martin, Rich, Keith, Carol, Amanda, Rick, Jon, Mike, Beau, PhiPi, Jason, Jeff, David, Seairth, Scope and everybody else, come on in, the water's fine! Every one of you is smarter than me! I've had the pleasure of being published in the same issue as Dave Dorhout & Sir Gordon McComb. Let's see how many forumistas we can get in the same issue, and who can get the most Parallax plugs in their article while getting PAID for it!
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2016-12-30 05:25
    @Vern Garner - thanks for sharing the great link with all the Forum Members!

@erco - the latest erco challenge? Eric - I sent a PM about another matter of interest - re: your first column.
  • I usually don't look at the digital issue before I receive my paper version but this month I checked out "Ask Mr. Roboto" online.
    Wow, there's a lot of great stuff in there! Very nicely done erco!

I'll read the rest of the magazine from the paper version.
    Thanks Duane. I hope this gig doesn't end up as a "let's stump erco with hard questions" fest from SERVO readers. :)

Jonnymac warned me long ago how much work a monthly column can be.

I'll be coming straight to you guys when I need help!
    edited 2016-12-31 03:47
    Hey guys, I need some feedback. Can someone without a SERVO subscription please tell me if they can view any of the online version of the column at http://servo.texterity.com/servo/201701?pg=22#pg22

Sometimes they let non-subscribers see a few pages before they hit you up to subscribe. And expect a cookie, so recommend you view it in incognito or inPrivate, so you can return later if you like.

Please advise and thanks! I'd just like to know if I can share it with people for reference.
  • I was able to see two facing pages (four pages total) before it required me to signup/signin. I don't know the business rules they use for browsing, but as you say, a cookie is involved, so next time the visiting hours may be cut short.
    Thank you Sir!
  • I got to see the two facing pages also, Great stuff!.

You have a great sense of humor erco, Looks like they got the right guy for the job.

Try not to forget all us little people when you get to the top. :)

-Tommy

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    I could see and print to PDF pages 20 to 24. Looked very good.

BTW, congrats on becoming Servo's Mr. Roboto.
    Thanks much for verifying and kind words.

You guys are aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight in my book.
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,621
    edited 2016-12-31 18:18
    I could read the last page of Erco's article by editing the page number in the link and opening it in a new Private Browsing session: http://servo.texterity.com/servo/201701?pg=26#pg26
  • Congrats! I will sub the paper version for that :)
    xanadu wrote: »
    Congrats! I will sub the paper version for that :)

Pressure's on me now to deliver!

Hmm. Will I say less here if I say more there? Stay tuned to find out!

• Congratulations Erco! You will be the perfect person to cover that. I look forward to reading them in the new year.

Robert
    Thanks Robert! I'll have to work in the HERO robots at some opportunity. I owe my love of tricycle-drive robots stems to my very first robot building experience with HERO Jr circa 1987 when Heathkit started blowing them out. So I've official been hoarding robots for 30 years now!
  • erco wrote: »
    Thanks Robert! I'll have to work in the HERO robots at some opportunity. I owe my love of tricycle-drive robots stems to my very first robot building experience with HERO Jr circa 1987 when Heathkit started blowing them out. So I've official been hoarding robots for 30 years now!

If you have any questions about them feel free to reach out to me and I can help. I still have the remaining inventory of parts for them, documentation, upgrades, and even some of the original factory test fixtures and prototypes.

This year I hope to submit some more articles to SERVO. I have at least a half dozen started that I need to wrap up and send in.

I think 2017 is going to be a good year.

Robert