Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Following Robot — Parallax Forums

Following Robot

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since I've visited here

Long story short: I have converted two 1/10 scale r/c cars to autonomous vehicles (controlling the ESC & steering servo via microcontroller - that was fairly easy)

I would like one of these vehicles to follow the lead vehicle however, I'm unsure how this could be done - these machines will be operated outside

Any recommendations would be most appreciated

Oh, since I've been away, I'm now "permanent" member of the local university faculty and I am the faculty advisor for the Autonomous Ground Vehicle Team - woo hoo!

Thank you
:)

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    Awesome to hear from you again, Scope! I was wondering what you were up to! So great to hear you've found a fitting place that appreciates your passion, and you're doing robotics. WOW!

Lasers and/or ultrasonics would be my first reaction for outdoor following. Can you prime the pump by sharing some pics or video of your cars? I'm guessing you want them to go faster than these...? :)

• ScopeScope Posts: 417
    edited 2016-11-28 16:48
    We're at the end of the semester and I'm busier than a bee during honey season

Thank you for the video - I'm looking forward to figuring out a successful outcome

I am curious if I could use two or more ultrasonic sensors that receiv a sound beam that's sent from the lead vehicle

There is someone on the InterWebs who points a "flashlight" type of sound beam behind him and, as he walks around, his robot "follows the beam" somewhat like a dog would follow someone - that video spawned this idea

Thanks everyone - I hope to have time to work on this in two weeks, or so

Happy problem solving,

Scope

One of the few robots I don't have is Robie Jr, who SLOWLY followed its remote ultrasonically: http://www.theoldrobots.com/omnijr2.html
    If you have money to burn, these laser sensors work great and with proper optical shielding should work outdoors. Nighttime range is over 60 feet to detect a Scotchlite retroreflective sticker. I have not tested 2 together to see if they interfere. If they don't, 2-3 on the following car should track a reflector on the rear of the lead car. You'd also need a distance measuring sensor, ultrasonic should work at moderate speeds.

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/165537/ebay-laser-sensor-tests-fyi#latest
  • Thanks