Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bay Area Mecanum Chassis — Parallax Forums

Bay Area Mecanum Chassis

ercoerco Posts: 20,256
Mountain View, CA: $1600 chassis on Ebay for $1200 OBO. Ken, snap this up for Parallax for $800 and give rides at your next robot expo! http://www.ebay.com/itm/172380228248

400lb Weight Capacity! .... Brand New Unused Pro Built Heavy Duty AndyMark Robotic System (am-0764) with Aluminum Nano Tube 31" Chassis, 4 gearboxes, a 6" HD Mecanum Wheel Set (am-0732), 4 - 2.5" CIM Motors (am-0255) and 4 VEX Pro Victor SP PWM motor controllers P/N: 217-9090 (60 amp continuos @12v). We spent over $1600 on this system and have not utilized it.

Product Description:
-This is a 31" long Nano Tube chassis that is ready for a battery and control system.

6", HEAVY DUTY Mecanum wheel set
This is a set of 4 wheels, consisting of 2 "right" wheels and 2 "left" wheels. All 4 wheels are required to make a Mecanum drive holonomic system to work properly.

mecanum.jpg
1320 x 920 - 278K

Comments

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Ready for a plywood platform?
  • Motor stall current 133 A.

Motor controller max output 100 A.

Can you stall a mecanum wheel?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    xanadu wrote: »

Heck yeah, they stall at 42 KIA after a bit of shudder. Lemme at it!

• erco wrote: »
    xanadu wrote: »

Heck yeah, they stall at 42 KIA after a bit of shudder. Lemme at it!

I'm surprised you didn't buy this yet Erco! would make a great figure-8 platform.
  • I'm surprised you didn't buy this yet Erco! would make a great figure-8 platform.

Erco has made several figure-8 videos with a Mecanum bot.

Here's one of his videos (link to figure 8 thread).

Here's another video of erco's bot performing a figure 8 (link to thread).

I have a couple Mecanum wheeled figure 8 attempts in the thread myself.

Here's my robot driving like a normal 4WD car (link).

And here's my robot driving while keeping the robot in the same orientation as it drives (http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1165130/#Comment_1165130).
    (Sorry about the really bad sound.)

Erco mentioned these Vex wheels to me years ago and we have both become fans of the Vex Mecanum wheels. I think the Vex wheels offer the best bang for the buck of any of the Mecanum wheels I've seen. Last time I checked they were $60 for a set of four wheels. I think they work great.

The main obstacle to overcome when using the Vex wheels is mounting the square holes on round axles. I drill out the Vex wheel and add a set screw myself. Other people have come up with other ways to mount the Vex wheels.

I've posted some details about my Mecanum wheeled robot on my Hackaday.io page.

The Rover 5 is a bit under powered for these wheels but they work okay as long as I monitor the feedback from the encoders to adjust the power to the motors appropriately.
    Duane's the rock star of Mecanum robots and my personal Parallax hero. I have much to learn from this young one!
  • Duane & Erco, those are some nice robots. Thanks for sharing the videos.
    When I'm desperate to impress someone, I pull out this video. It's two independent systems going simultaneously so there's a lot going on.

• erco wrote: »
    When I'm desperate to impress someone, I pull out this video. It's two independent systems going simultaneously so there's a lot going on.

That is very impressive!