Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BlocklyProp - Example of start new cog (at bottom of thread) — Parallax Forums

BlocklyProp - Example of start new cog (at bottom of thread)

John KauffmanJohn Kauffman Posts: 653
edited 2016-10-26 20:47 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I searched public programs with "new cog" and could not find an example, based on titles.
Among blocks I did not see anything promising.
Could someone post a simple example of spinning up a few cogs with different LED blinks and sharing a common variable?
Thanks.

Comments

• Webinars:
    These are a great idea and would be wonderful to have for other
    I'm planning to log in for all of them except one conflicts w/ a lecture. I want to hear what other educators are asking.

I don't know if I mentioned, I have several kids that have finished WAMM (in C) and will go back to CH 01 doing all exercises in Blockly.

Another group is doing Scratch and I want to try using S3 as a natural compliment to Scratch for a unit on hardware.

- John

• John,

Let me know which webinar you might miss and I'll ask the webmaster if he could put it on YouTube.
  • Publison wrote: »
    John,

Let me know which webinar you might miss and I'll ask the webmaster if he could put it on YouTube.
    Aren't they going to put them all on YouTube eventually?

• David, don't know. I'll have to ask the webmaster.
  • I searched public programs with "new cog" and could not find an example, based on titles.
    Among blocks I did not see anything promising.
    Could someone post a simple example of spinning up a few cogs with different LED blinks and sharing a common variable?
    Thanks.

Hey John - there's a "new processor" block. We're using this terminology because "cogs" are quite Parallax-specific and we want to make the concept of multiple processors running in parallel easier for our customers to understand.

Ken Gracey
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    I don't know whether they will post to YouTube either. I will "attend" the one on Tues that 18th!

Great questions John!
  • To use multiple cogs:
    1 - Create functions to go into cogs by creating separate stack starting with Functions/To and put blocks inside.
    2 - In main stack, place Control/NewProcessorFunction with argument coming from Functions/(list)
    Worked perfect to blink pins 26 & 27.

Whit: for future, people searching for this question will see after first 2 posts that the thread veered off into webinars and finally answered here. They might not get down here to answer. Can we cut webinar posts or maybe create different thread with just question and answer? I'm always thinking of how a current thread will be useful for future searchers.
  • John, as OP you are allowed to edit your thread name and/or your initial post if you feel that marking this solved and putting the answer at the top is beneficial.
  • Tutorials on this will be posted within the next week or so - they've been written, are going through editing and publication as we speak.
  • Great. Once I turned my student loose, they galloped.