Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Connecting computer to BS2sx — Parallax Forums

Connecting computer to BS2sx

Trying to connect my laptop to a BS2sx on a carrier board that has a program loaded into it that is running. When I try to download a modified version of the program to the BS2sx, I receive the following message: "BS2 detected but not responding. Check power."

The BS2sx is powered up because the indicator light is on, the BS2sx is detecting the sensor inputs, and the BS2sx is continuously downloading data about the sensor inputs to my laptop (from the original program previously downloaded to the BS2sx, not the new program I tried to download).

My laptop says I have a good serial port connection. I've reset the BS2sx (by cycling the power off/on) both before and after trying to download the revised program, and by using the reset button on the carrier board, but I still get the error message noted above.

I've attached my laptop to another BS2 computer (using the same cable) and it recognizes the BS2 and I can download a new program to that BS2.

Any suggestion as to what the problem is and how I can solve this, and download a new program to my BS2sx will be appreciated.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    What version of the BASIC Stamp Editor are you using?
    Are you connecting from a serial port or using an adapter (if so, what brand)?
  • breontom wrote: »
    Trying to connect my laptop to a BS2sx on a carrier board that has a program loaded into it that is running. When I try to download a modified version of the program to the BS2sx, I receive the following message: "BS2 detected but not responding. Check power."

The BS2sx is powered up because the indicator light is on, the BS2sx is detecting the sensor inputs, and the BS2sx is continuously downloading data about the sensor inputs to my laptop (from the original program previously downloaded to the BS2sx, not the new program I tried to download).

My laptop says I have a good serial port connection. I've reset the BS2sx (by cycling the power off/on) both before and after trying to download the revised program, and by using the reset button on the carrier board, but I still get the error message noted above.

I've attached my laptop to another BS2 computer (using the same cable) and it recognizes the BS2 and I can download a new program to that BS2.

Any suggestion as to what the problem is and how I can solve this, and download a new program to my BS2sx will be appreciated.
    breontom wrote: »

• Please don't re-post the same message. Chris is trying to be helpful, but he needs the information he asked for.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-08-26 15:17
    I think the MAC OS version that you reported to Chris is not the correct one.
    Version: Mac 3.1.9

What is your current OS version?

Is this a USB 3.0 port?
    Publison, where do you see a Mac version being reported by the OP? I searched the page and found no such reply.
  • Check your PM.
    Thanks for responding, Chris.

Version: Mac 3.1.9

Using the cable that comes with the BS2 kit: USB to 9 pin serial. Like I said, this cable works with another BS2 computer on another carrier board.

I mark threads I reply to so I can follow up on them. I had no idea the OP posted a message on my "wall" (not a PM). In any event, Parallax does not directly support MacBS2 and the version you're reporting isn't listed on our website.

That said, I wonder if you have the latency setting in the FTDI driver on the Mac? We explain how to change it for Windows here: https://www.parallax.com/files/content/docs/Support/Downloads/Drivers/USBDriverTroubleshooting-V1.0.pdf
  • @breontom

3.19 is an experimental version produced by an non Parallax employee.

http://www.muratnkonar.com/otherstuff/macbs2-experimental/downloads.shtml

You may have to contact the authour:

http://www.muratnkonar.com/otherstuff/macbs2-experimental/

to see if he can help.