Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hand-held smart router — Parallax Forums

Hand-held smart router

Here's an interesting twist on "CNC" routers:

https://shapertools.com/

It's actually more of a CAC (computer-assisted control) device. For those who don't have the money (or room) for a CNC router, this might be a viable alternative.

-Phil

Comments

• Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    Interestingly neat. Still a year off... and $99 shipping ??
  • I thought the video was leading to the making of a set of domino block's. That is one major problem addressed, seeing what I'm cutting. Looks like there would be a lot less back strain, if you can depend on the accuracy of the display. Are we not taking the craftsmanship out of the craftsman?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Pretty wild! A bit like a Scribbler with a bit instead of a Sharpie. PhiPi, surely you could make a Parallax "SCRIBER" like this with all your experience!
  • Here's an interesting twist on "CNC" routers:

https://shapertools.com/

It's actually more of a CAC (computer-assisted control) device. For those who don't have the money (or room) for a CNC router, this might be a viable alternative.

-Phil

Thanks for sharing that link, Phil. Interesting concept. Could have used that 3 years ago, but the company bought a used CNC 5' x 12'. Took me and another guy a month to get the DOS controller to talk to new G-Code. :)

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2016-08-29 02:33
    You guys aren't subscribed to Applied Science?

He uses one of these starting at about 3:20.

Edit: removed forum tags on YouTube video.
  • Subscribed! Note that you can actually see the ShaperTool in the above screengrab, just to the left of him.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2016-08-24 20:43
    I didn't see (or may have missed) a spec for how big a correction the device can make before having to withdraw the bit, or how fast it can respond to jerky motions. IOW, how careful must I be before the router won't work for me? :)

-Phil
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Are you allowed to say "spaz" now a days?

I mean I do, it close company, but it's not PC.

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2016-08-24 20:43
    When used self-deprecatingly, as above? Well, okay, whatever, I'll change it.

-Phil
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    No, no, I did not mean you should change it.

I was a bit taken back because it is not a turn of phrase I have seen in the wild for many decades. I did not know it even existed in the USA.

The problem with the "self-deprecating" angle is that it is seen as comparing yourself to someone that you think has inferior capabilities.

In the PC world, any such suggestion calls for a death sentence.

I loath the PC world.

• Can't win in the PC world! I'm switching to Macs. :)

-Phil
  • PC is an ever increasing landscape, it's much more difficult to offend equally, but in the confusion you can slip out the back door. And maybe come back to do it again.
  • Heater. wrote: »
    In the PC world, any such suggestion calls for a death sentence.

I loath the PC world.

Are you negatively comparing yourself to the PC world? :tongue:
  • IOW, how careful must I be before the router won't work for me? :)

I remember seeing somewhere that it will retract the cutter if you get too far off; it seemed to happen very fast, so I don't think a little spasticity will be a problem.
    I just saw this nicely-done and interesting video which uses the Shaper router.

• erco wrote: »
    I just saw this nicely-done and interesting video which uses the Shaper router.

Yup, mentioned by Duane above.

Interesting, I only see a blank space in Duane's post where that video should be.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-08-27 23:13
    erco wrote: »
    Interesting, I only see a blank space in Duane's post where that video should be.

erco, you seem to be having problems viewing stuff latley. Which browser are you using?

• erco wrote: »

I used the "Youtube" button in the editor to add the link. I'm guessing the device you're using doesn't like the old YouTube API.

Here's what I see on my computer.

Forum160827a.PNG

As you can see there's a note about he API being deprecated.
    600 x 584 - 364K
  • Sorry Duane can't see your link either.
    edited 2016-08-28 18:34
    I see Duane's last one, but not the first one, using Chrome browser with Flash turned off for various & nefarious reasons. I do see the missing video with Flash turned on. When I post Youtube links, I just paste them in without any forum buttons. Works gooder-er.
  • and on and
    ... When I post Youtube links, I just paste them in without any forum buttons. Works gooder-er.

+1. Using the forum buttons will cause a flash file to be downloaded on Android, which is pretty annoying.
  • rosco_pc wrote: »
    and on and
    ... When I post Youtube links, I just paste them in without any forum buttons. Works gooder-er.

+1. Using the forum buttons will cause a flash file to be downloaded on Android, which is pretty annoying.

Good to know. I'll stop using the forum YouTube tags.

• Looks like the development here has been well thought out and explored, and that the final product will be well executed. One would hope that the long-established tool manufacturer partnerships listed will bode well for the routers backing and long term success. Very interested in this CNC router and wish I had money to spare right now!