Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp 1 DOS programs? — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp 1 DOS programs?

Hi,

A friend gave me a bunch of BS1-ICs (and corresponding mini prototyping boards). Copyright 1996 and using a PIC16C56, so perhaps quite old. I studied electrical engineering in college and have experience with PIC microcontrollers, but life has taken me a different direction and I only occasionally dabble in electronics now, with many other things keeping me busy, like our homestead and my wife's 30 chickens. These latter are what brings me here now-- we're going to the US to see my family for a few weeks, and the plan where my mother-in-law would stay here and take care of things fell through, so I'm just going to throw together an automatic feed dispenser for the chickens, for which the BS1 seems like it should be up to the job-- SLEEP based timer to count out roughly 24 hours (2x SLEEP for 12H), then some timed control pulses to an H-bridge to control a 12V DC linear actuator to open and close a sliding door in the bottom of a bin of grains, and go back to sleep until the next day. The 1% drift in timing isn't that big a deal-- I'm far from 1% accuracy as it is when it comes to what time in the morning the chickens get fed. ;-)

I run linux on my desktop, my wife as well on her laptop. But the Linux software apparently only supports BS2. Her laptop can boot into windows 7. However, I have an older laptop with a PCMCIA parallel port, and it seems like a lot easier to me just to boot to DOS on that laptop and program the Basic Stamp One from that, rather than compete with my wife for her laptop, which she uses for work.

Just where can I find the old software for DOS?

Hope my post wasn't too long winded. :-)

Comments