Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Question about speed of code generated with PropellerIDE — Parallax Forums

Question about speed of code generated with PropellerIDE

tomcrawfordtomcrawford Posts: 1,126
edited 2016-07-29 21:30 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I have been fiddling with MAX7219 recently. I found I could not write a string of 8x8 modules quickly enough in spin and had to go to PASM to get decent looking text scrolling. In large part it comes down to how long it takes to do a 16-bit SPI. In PASM, it is less than 10 uSec, in spin, it is about 600 uSec. Fair enough.

Then I thought, how about C? It is a lot faster than spin. But the results make it clear I am doing something wrong. Here is the nub of what I did:
  while(1)
{
   low(MX7219CS);
   shift_out(MX7219D, MX7219Clk, MSBFIRST, 16, 0x55aa);
   high(MX7219CS);
}

shiftout.jpg is a logic analyzer capture. It can be seen it takes nearly a mSec from CS active to CS inactive. Shiftout.zip is the actual program. Clearly I am missing something. That is not the sort of speed one would expect from compiled code.

I thought perhaps the shift_out function is artificially slowed down to avoid overrunning slow peripherals, so I wrote my own little shifter.
void MyShift16(int ShiftVal) {
  for (int i = 0; 1 < 16; i++)  {
     if ((ShiftVal & 0x8000) == 0)
         low(MX7219D);
     else
         high(MX7219D);
     ShiftVal = ShiftVal << 1;
     pulse_out(MX7219Clk, 1);
   }
}

function.jpg is a capture, functionshift.zip is the actual program. It is even worse, almost 2 mSec to do a 16-bit SPI.

So I am hoping some kind soul can set me straight. What am I doing wrong?
1202 x 690 - 89K
1202 x 690 - 89K

Comments

• Which memory model are you using? CMM is about the speed of Spin. LMM should be faster. A COG program would be even faster.
  • tomcrawfordtomcrawford Posts: 1,126
    edited 2016-07-27 21:06
    I am using the IIDE default memory model. How do I change it (couldn't find anything in preferences).

Edit: I found Project View. Thank you for the hint. EndEdit

tom

Re-edit: Okay, that helps LMM gets it down to less than 200 uSec (0.2 mSec). Thanks again. tc
  • Tom,
    I had an application where I needed to collect SPI data very quickly. The device (pixy cmucam5 color tracker) spit out 14 byte data blocks at 1usec/bit without any ability to pause it, and I needed to collect as many blocks of data as possible before it started a new frame of blocks (every 0.020 sec).

I had tried using the PropTool objects SPI.spin and SPI_ASM.spin, but they were too slow. I then tried the SimpleLibrary SPI functions (shift_in) in CMM memory model, but that was very slow. I couldn't use LMM because of the size of the project's code.

So I embarked on learning how to embed PASM code from a Spin object into a C program, and wrote (with a lot of help) an SPI library that used the PASM code from SPI_ASM.spin.

The adventures are here
    forums.parallax.com/discussion/157441/can-spi-in-simple-libraries-be-speeded-up/p1

with the library in the next to last post.

An example of using the generic library with a device is here:
    forums.parallax.com/discussion/163486/altimeter-module-ms5607-29124-c-driver-using-spi

The clock speed used in that example is 0.5usec.

Hope this helps.
    Tom
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-07-28 00:38
    Since I've seen this SPI topic so many times I wonder why faster methods aren't implemented. SPI is one of those things that you want to happen as fast as possible because it is not unusual for it to have a whole buffer to send. When I optimized SPI for Tachyon I eventually decided upon instructions that would always send 8-bits MSB first. It is easy enough to reverse bits for lsb first although I have never had to send lsb first either. Also it is easy enough to chain instructions together for multiples of 8- bits although there are variations on the basic instruction to allow 16-bit in one hit and of course variable bit lengths. Practically all SPI transfers I've seen are in multiples of 8-bits.

The other thing I see that allows Tachyon to run faster is that I normally setup the pin masks in a separate operation, and usually just once so it is then just a matter of writing (or reading) data. One extra is that it is assumed that any SPI operation should assert the chip enable plus there is one instruction to release CE quickly.

Surely then something similar could be done with Spin and C methods?
    btw, an 8-bit SPI read/write takes around 2us.
  • hi @tomcrawford,

I, too, was surprised at the SPI implementation that comes shipped with SimpleIDE in the Learn folder. If you'd like to give PropWare a try, the SPI module will run at 4 MHz in both LMM and CMM modes if you invoke the shift_out_block_fast_msb_first() method. The other, simpler methods like shift_out() use waitcnt to clock a user-configurable frequency and are therefore limited to ~900 kHz.

This SPI demo assumes that a slave device is connected to the Propeller and configured to echo back each byte as it is sent.

You can also reference the code in the various SPI peripherals like the PropWare::MCP3xxx for more example code.

And if you're on Windows using SimpleIDE, I recommend installing PropWare via the first set of instructions here. If you're on Linux, the dedicated Linux packages combined with command line tools or your favorite IDE (VSCode, CLion, Eclipse, etc) are much easier IMO.

Cheers,
  • Just to note an alternative: there's a program called spincvt that can convert Spin to C or PASM, and can compile your spin code into an LMM executable that will be about 10x as fast as the original Spin bytecode.

spincvt is part of a family of programs:

spin2cpp -- the original command line tool to convert Spin to C++, C, or PASM. Can also output binaries.
    spincvt -- a GUI front end for spin2cpp
    fastspin -- a different command line front end for spin2cpp that has the same argument format as openspin

• Thanks for pointers to all the alternatives. I guess there is a lot more PropellorStuff out there than I imagined. tc