Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to establish communication between SimpleIDE and VS2015 — Parallax Forums

How to establish communication between SimpleIDE and VS2015

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and now working on a robotics platform that can recognize human faces. I'm using the OpenCV libraries for the face recognition, which is executed on Visual Studio 2015. I wish to establish a connection between VS2015 with SimpleIDE, which is used to programmed my arlo, so that exchange of information and command is allowed. I tried to use a simple file i/o method for the exchange of information between two compilers but I found out that SimpleIDE does not support file i/o functions. Is there any other method to allow exchange of information between these two compilers? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comments

• You're going to want to include a way for the program you write in VS2015 to communicate with the program you create using SimpleIDE.

The communication will likely go through a "virtual com port".

The two compilers don't communicate directly, the programs you write do all the communicating.

You could add some sort of Bluetooth module to the Propeller board and have the communication done over Bluetooth. Many programming environments treat Bluetooth like a serial port.

Just to be clear, you plan to use OpenCV on a PC and then transmit commands to the Propeller right? The Propeller is a microcontroller and is not capable of using the OpenCV library itself.
  • Thanks Duane for the help. I'm not very familiar with the virtual com port. Is there any recommended sources where I can learn to communicate both the compilers using the virtual com port?