Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Security Robot Knocks Down a Child — Parallax Forums

Security Robot Knocks Down a Child

Problems with some security robots... sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. I'm sure the robots save them a lot of money.

Three-hundred pound autonomous machine allegedly ran over boy in 'freak accident'

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    That is a significant setback for patrol bots! Hope the toddler is OK. God makes 'em durable at that age, but this is a 300 pound robot (in the room, that everyone is suddenly talking about).
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2016-07-14 18:39
    Hey, I saw those Knightscope daleks at the Sensors Expo in San Jose. They are huge. Loaded with cameras and lidar. Scared me. Had a chat to a guy from Knighscope who assured me they were nothing like ED 209.

20160622_101213.jpg

20160622_101042.jpg

Err...sorry they are sideways
    2560 x 1536 - 1M
    2560 x 1536 - 1M
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    Do the boy's blue lights turn red in attack mode, as shown in the movie "I Robot"? That would be very helpful.
  • This is all part of the "lookie what we can do" mentality that's not going to end well, and will once again set back robotics for all of us. There are plenty of growing and lucrative applications for large patrol bots, but the open public is not one of them. It doesn't matter if it was a "freak" accident -- we hope that all accidents are freak, meaning uncommon. All it takes is a significantly bad accident and the press it generates to harm an entire industry.