Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A different kind of Omnidirectional Wheels — Parallax Forums

A different kind of Omnidirectional Wheels

Not sure how long the tires would last on a car, but they would be cool on a Quadrover.

http://time.com/4389652/wheels-cars-roll-sideways/

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    The tables have turned! No more turntables at the LA Auto Show. Great concept, call me when they're speed rated and warranted for 40,000 miles.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Jees, we spend the whole history of car design trying to stop cars sliding sideways. Now we want to do it on purpose!
  • How I fretted over getting parallel parking right for my DL. These young whipper snappers won't even have to learn to drive anymore.
  • I agree with Publison, I think these sorts of wheels belong on a robot. Still they would likely be crazy expensive.

I don't think normal tire material could handle the kind of stretching required this this sort of application.

While I think the video is real, I don't think it's real-time. There are several scenes where one can see trees and leaves moving in strange ways.

Take a look at the leaves on the ground and the trees in the background at 1:22.

I predict these will never be produced commercially for full size cars.
    Good point. The trees and the flag waving in the background seem to be working at double speed or so. Even if it was windy day.

It's a dumb Smile idea anyway.
  • I think this idea was better (ca. 1950):

-Phil
    Oh boy. The USA in the 1950's must have been a great place to live. Everyone driving around in huge Bat Mobiles. Gas to burn.

• While a unique design for an omniwheel, I agree with others that for a car, it will never be useful. I would doubt you could get 5,000 miles from those tires or go above 45mph. My work for an NEV, but they really have no need to self-park. I would guess 3-4X on the video speed.
    5000 miles?

Given the stringent expectations of modern cars and the demand on their tires I would expect any normal driver, even granny, to spin out at the first bend with those tubes.

On the other hand. With the prospect of cities full of self driving vehicles, I hesitate to call them cars, groping along the side walk at 5 mph, perhaps this guy is onto a winner.

• I think the person is moderating comments. I posted replies to at least two comments and I can't see them if I'm not logged in to YouTube.

This is what I see when logged in, but I can't see any of my comments from an incognito browser window.

YoutubeComments160701a.PNG

IMO, this makes William Liddiard a slimeball.
    894 x 590 - 83K
    Agreed, William Liddiard is a slimeball.

There are ton of money making scams alive and well on an internet populated with people with no technical education or even a grounding in critical thinking.

Some of them attract a ton of investment over many years, like Meredith Perry an her Ubeam:

https://ubeam.com/team/

Not sure if I should laugh or cry.

• varnonvarnon Posts: 184
    edited 2016-07-02 15:46
    Interesting idea. Maybe it would be practical for something very small. I really appreciate everyone's skepticism here. There is a lot of bull that goes undetected. Academia is like that too. It is really frustrating for me as a scientist to see the constant deluge of bull (picture it) in science and technology. If anything science is supposed to be the anti-bull.
  • Watch the language. As "slimeball" is still PG, it could be looked at as slander in some language with Google translation
  • varnon wrote: »
    Interesting idea. Maybe it would be practical for something very small. I really appreciate everyone's skepticism here. There is a lot of bull that goes undetected. Academia is like that too. It is really frustrating for me as a scientist to see the constant deluge of bull (picture it) in science and technology. If anything science is supposed to be the anti-bull.

Post editted. Watch the language please.

• Even when I'm logged in at YouTube my replies to comments are no longer visible.

I think the original concept pretty cool and I think there may be applications for wheels like these. That said, any respect I had for the inventor is swallowed up by my disgust for the inventor for not allowing valid criticism of the device. Heck the comments I posted were hardly criticism. I was just pointing out the video was sped up. The inventor had previously mentioned he thought he had used too high a gear ratio for the motor turning the tires so my observation wasn't necessarily pointing out a flaw in the finished project, just pointing out a characteristic of the prototype.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2016-07-02 20:05
    What is going to kill that idea for production purposes is the difference from the inner diameter vs. the outer diameter of the Omnidirectional "doughnut" wheel. Say for instance you have a 22 inch outside tire diameter and the Omnidirectional "doughnut" wheel is 4 inches thick, that brings the inner diameter of that 22 inch tire to 14 inches .... along the circumference that Omnidirectional "doughnut" wheel will need to stretch about 25 inches as it moves the car from side to side. That's a lot of motion and wear and tear that likely won't hold up for very long.
  • Don't shoot the messenger. :) Just thought it was an out of the box idea.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    Publison wrote: »
    Don't shoot the messenger.

Agreed, that wouldn't be fair to Jim. Take him to Detroit! :)
  • erco wrote:
    Take him to Detroit!
    Fate worse than death? :)

Still ... bargains to be had:

janeaveforsale.jpg?w=1240

-Phil
  • ... but lead paint just goes on so smooth ... just needs a touch-up here and there is all
    What's wrong with "slimeball". As in that stuff that grows at the bottom of the vegetable compartment of my fridge.

Pretty mild abuse really.

More seriously, people pushing nutjob ideas in the hope of attracting huge investment, see ubeam, need to be exposed. The investors need to be warned.