Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BASIC Stamp 2 as PC Input Device — Parallax Forums

BASIC Stamp 2 as PC Input Device

pdmarshpdmarsh Posts: 3
edited 2016-06-25 19:59 in BASIC Stamp
Can a BASIC Stamp 2 be programmed to act as a joystick/button input device to a PC? My processor is a BS2 Rev. J. I have seen some projects that use other processors for input devices in home-built flight sim cockpits. I am toying with doing something along these lines, but not a major project, just adding some button, knob and/or switch inputs. If the BS2 can be programmed to be seen as a joystick input device (HID?) to a Windows PC, would you have some sample code to help me get started?

I appreciate the help very much.

Paul

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    pdmarsh wrote: »
    Can a BASIC Stamp 2 be programmed to act as a joystick/button input device to a PC? My processor is a BS2 Rev. J. I have seen some projects that use other processors for input devices in home-built flight sim cockpits. I am toying with doing something along these lines, but not a major project, just adding some button, knob and/or switch inputs. If the BS2 can be programmed to be seen as a joystick input device (HID?) to a Windows PC, would you have some sample code to help me get started?

I appreciate the help very much.

Paul

Definitely possible to emulate an AT or PS2 input device. Probably possible for HID with a serial to USB adapter.
  • kwinn wrote: »
    Definitely possible to emulate an AT or PS2 input device. Probably possible for HID with a serial to USB adapter.

Thank you for responding. This might end up being over my head, but I'll keep researching it and give it a try.
    Paul
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    You may want to take a look at this object in the OBEX. It's in Propeller Basic, and is for getting data from a keyboard, so the opposite of what you want to do, but it might provide some ideas.

After thinking about it for a while it might be better to use a PS2 mouse or keyboard to USB adapter for this. Depends on exactly what you want to do, and what software you want to interface with.
  • Thanks kwinn. I appreciate the additional information.

Paul