Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DOT and FAA Finalize Rules for Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (Part 107) — Parallax Forums

DOT and FAA Finalize Rules for Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (Part 107)

The US DOT and FAA released the long-awaited final version of Part 107 of the Federal Aviation Regulations, the "Small Unmanned Aircraft Rule" this morning. The new rules for non-hobbyist small unmanned aircraft (UAS) operations cover a broad spectrum of commercial uses for drones weighing less than 55 pounds, and will take effect in late August. This does not effect hobby/recreational sUAS/model aircraft operations.

Official FAA Press Release
Part 107 Rule [PDF]
Summary of Part 107 Rule [PDF]
FAA Part 107 Fact Sheet

Comments

• Visual line-of-sight (VLOS) only;
    capable of seeing the aircraft with vision unaided by any device.

So it does not look like Amazon can deliver using drones.
  • FireNWaterFireNWater Posts: 93
    edited 2016-06-22 15:32
    tonyp12 wrote: »
    . . .[snip]. .

I'm sure Democracy is taking its course as we type . .

**edited
  • Please refrain from posting inflammatory political comments on Parallax forums.

This is not the place for such discussions.
  • Not sure how that's inflammatory. It's "how the sausage is made" . .
  • FireNWater wrote: »
    Not sure how that's inflammatory. It's "how the sausage is made" . .

Yea, but we try to stay out of politics. Let's stick to the technical stuff.

• On that note, here's a more technical response.
    tonyp12 wrote: »

Under Part 107, No. But there are other (albeit more cumbersome ways). As I understand it, from the FAA's perspective, the hope is that Part 107 will accommodate the vast majority of commercial operators, relieving the backlogged 333 exemption request system, so that it (and the new waiver system) can return to it's original purpose - reviewing and permitting more extraordinary sUAS operations that require a closer "look" to ensure that they offer an "equivalent level of safety".

• The test is up on FAA Safety's site for registered airmen. 35 question multiple guess. Easy, and cheesy. The review videos reminded me of 1980s PSAs.
  • Kyle M.Kyle M. Posts: 112
    edited 2016-07-01 16:04
    xanadu wrote: »
    The test is up on FAA Safety's site for registered airmen. 35 question multiple guess. Easy, and cheesy. The review videos reminded me of 1980s PSAs.

Great find. Please share the link, I'd love to look it over.

The online course & test will only be for pilots with a certificate issued under 14 CFR part 61 who have completed a flight review within the previous 24 months. For all other persons seeking a Remote Pilot Certification, they must pass an initial aeronautical knowledge exam at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center (not available online). Source

• That's correct.

I attached a sample test with link to all of the training publications on the first page. This should be good for anyone who is not current or not a registered airmen. Or anyone with an interest in aviation regardless of the desire to fly anything.

If you're current/registered airmen you can take the test now, right here and you will get the certificate emailed to you. Nothing else is required - https://www.faasafety.gov (link on that page). Or use this really long link - https://www.faasafety.gov/login/Default.aspx?dest=gslac/ALC/course_content&enroll=true&cID=451

For everyone else, the lasergrade test facility I work at doesn't show the test as available, so I'm not sure when that will happen. The software vendor said it should be available within the next week or so and not the end of August like I've read everywhere else.

The FAA registered airmen is a public database. I'm not sure if they will do to sUAS pilots what they do to airmen. If they do, be prepared for your mailing address to become public! There are robot driven sites that extract your info and post articles about you online. You get junk mail like never before. If people google your full name (middle name included) they will get your mailing address from multiple automated websites. Again, I'm not sure if they're doing that with sUAS, just a word of caution.