Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Insert/Eject USB using Basic Stamp 2 — Parallax Forums

Insert/Eject USB using Basic Stamp 2

Hi guys. Im new in basic stamp, can u help me how can i effect or insert a usb using basic stamp? or is it possible? TIA to all who will reply :)

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    Welcome to the forums. Please clarify your question. Do you already have a BASIC Stamp? Do you have a Board of Education, which may or may not have a USB adapter built in? You'll likely need an FTDI USB serial adapter to program a stamp with most PCs.

https://www.parallax.com/product/28030
  • i`ve already have serial to usb sir, all i need is there any method that u can plug and eject the usb using basic stamp, basically u will cut and connect the usb. you will not pull the usb. Is there a way sir?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    i`ve already have serial to usb sir, all i need is there any method that u can plug and eject the usb using basic stamp, basically u will cut and connect the usb. you will not pull the usb. Is there a way sir?

It might be possible to use small relays to disconnect the usb drive using a BS2 to switch the relays.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    Need more info. Per kwinn, you could use a relay on either side of the USB/serial adapter to break a connection. A Stamp or another circuit could control the relay. Is that what you're after? Please describe what your end goal is.
  • kwinn wrote: »
    i`ve already have serial to usb sir, all i need is there any method that u can plug and eject the usb using basic stamp, basically u will cut and connect the usb. you will not pull the usb. Is there a way sir?

It might be possible to use small relays to disconnect the usb drive using a BS2 to switch the relays.

thanks kwinn for the suggestion :)

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2016-06-22 14:50
    I wonder if the OP thinks you must safely eject the USB device as you would with a thumb drive or external hard drive?

If so, you do not. Like a keyboard or mouse you can simply disconnect the device. However, when connecting the BASIC Stamp board to the PC you should probably have the power switch in the off position to avoid the device being detected improperly.