Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Trying to identify interpreter IC's — Parallax Forums

Trying to identify interpreter IC's

Hi everyone. I've been using BASIC stamps and accessories since the late 90's, off and on, and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute spent tinkering. I've also learned so much from the Parallax forum, and it's nice to see that it's still active.

I've recently started inventorying the collection of microcontroller/robotics/etc gear that I've accumulated over the years, and I came across a number of SX28AC/DP-G chips with silver paint markings, still in the original sealed anti-static bag.

The bag was marked as containing Parallax interpreter IC's (which explains the silver paint marks), but unfortunately at the time I neglected to note which Stamp this was for (2E, SX, etc). I bought these sometime around 2008, IIRC.

qqq3bd.jpg

I'm wondering if there is some way to figure out which interpreter chips these are? I do have an old SX-Key/Blitz kit, if that might help. I guess I could always build an OEM Stamp circuit and see what the Stamp Editor says, but I'm wondering if there is an easier/faster way? Thanks!

Steve

Comments

• BASICsteve wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I've been using BASIC stamps and accessories since the late 90's, off and on, and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute spent tinkering. I've also learned so much from the Parallax forum, and it's nice to see that it's still active.

I've recently started inventorying the collection of microcontroller/robotics/etc gear that I've accumulated over the years, and I came across a number of SX28AC/DP-G chips with silver paint markings, still in the original sealed anti-static bag.

The bag was marked as containing Parallax interpreter IC's (which explains the silver paint marks), but unfortunately at the time I neglected to note which Stamp this was for (2E, SX, etc). I bought these sometime around 2008, IIRC.

qqq3bd.jpg

I'm wondering if there is some way to figure out which interpreter chips these are? I do have an old SX-Key/Blitz kit, if that might help. I guess I could always build an OEM Stamp circuit and see what the Stamp Editor says, but I'm wondering if there is an easier/faster way? Thanks!

Steve

This link may help. Check the downloads at the bottom of the page.

https://www.parallax.com/product/pbasic2sx_p

• Yes, in 28-pin DIP they could be either BS2sx or BS2e. Meant to run with a 50MHz or 20MHz resonator respectively. The -p series all used the 48-pin TQFP.

Good question about probing them with the sx-key. They are code-protected, but there might be some other identifying signature. I wonder.

By the way, welcome back! There is not so much going on the the BASIC Stamp forum these days, but the Stamp abides. Have you checked out the Parallax Propeller?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    This page talks about OEM BASIC Stamps and the minimum components required to get one up and running. As previously said, they could be a BS2e or BS2sx, but all you would have to change for testing is the resonator and feedback resistor used on it.

http://savagecircuits.com/index.php/projects/18-basic-stamp-projects/18-bs2-oem-lite