Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Puma Training Bot — Parallax Forums

Puma Training Bot

WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
edited 2016-05-23 02:05 in Robotics
Pretty neat... You can see the whole story here at element 14.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    Interesting gimmick. Nothing beats a training partner though. Hard to tease and bag on a robot. Inyo face, robot!

Anyone else notice that all demos were done indoors of at night, when there is no bright sunlight present to mess with the IR sensors? :)
    edited 2016-05-23 14:04
    The team had to go through various prototypes before they built a bot that could reliably stay on the line and around corners at 44km/h. “We went through over eight prototypes, and interrogated every aspect of the robot, from the weight of the car, to the lag between the Arduino and servo,” says JWT creative director Florent Imbert. “We even enlisted the expertise of a NASA robotics engineer and three MIT grads.”

Puma should have just asked in this forum. Any two of us could have knocked this out over a weekend!

And please, don't nobody ask for photos from when I drove an RC beside me for 26 miles as I ran the Palos Verdes marathon in 1992.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    @erco - SHOW me the photos...
    Dangit, I told ya not to ask. Whenever I can find 'em. There's a good story there.
  • erco wrote: »
    ...“We went through over eight prototypes, and interrogated every aspect of the robot, from the weight of the car, to the lag between the Arduino and servo,” says JWT creative director Florent Imbert. “We even enlisted the expertise of a NASA robotics engineer and three MIT grads.”...

Arduino... hmm. A Propeller would have allowed for a bottle of water to be provided at the finish line for the runner.