Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RC Heli Pilot Can Outfly Most Drone Pilots — Parallax Forums

RC Heli Pilot Can Outfly Most Drone Pilots

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
Amazing precision snap maneuvers at ground level. He goes inverted and cuts the grass at 4 minutes.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    Crashes are fun too, just ask any NASCAR fan.

• Yeah, there are things a heli can do which quads can't.

I have the same gear as the gear used in the video below.

I can fly a helicopter inverted on a flight simulator but I'm too chicken to try flying my real TRex 600 inverted.

I think there are a few quads which can fly inverted by reversing the motors but for real aerobatics on a quad I think you need to use one of those funky collective pitch (CP) quads.

Here's FliteTest's video showing Curtis Youngblood Jr. flying the quad he designed (Stingray 500).

The flight starts at 4:03

Since the Stingray 500 came out, there have been a couple other CP quads introduced by other companies. Banggood sells the VLtoy V383

HobbyKing has their Assault Reaper 500.

I often think about Curtis Youngblood Jr.'s three axis control stick. Sometime I want to try flying a quad or a helicopter with this joystick.

6651531430034322186.jpg

I'll need some sort of slider for the throttle.
  • Collective pitch helicopters are the best!

I just uploaded this video, but it's at least 10 years old. It was the first time I put microcontrolled LEDs on anything radio controlled. It's Raptor 30 V2 (nitro) and a BS2 controlling the LEDs which were parallel on either side. I remember when I sold it the bidding went on and on because LEDs were rare on a canopy. I don't think anyone was using microcontrollers to do it. Not including labor, I profited over $100 on the purchase of that BS2 lol.... Including labor, well, it was a learning experience.