Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
24" automated sliding platform — Parallax Forums

24" automated sliding platform

Hello,

I'm looking for a sliding platform that I can control with a computer or microcontroller. Basically something like this, but triggerable from another control system: http://konovaphoto.com/motion-control/msbbundle.html

I only needs to have a travel a bout 24" and does not have to be fast. 60 seconds from one end to the other is fine. It also doesn't need to stop or be tracked anywhere in the middle. The commands it would receive would just be "move to point A", "move to point B". Any off the shelf product ideas?

Thanks,
Marcus

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Marcus,

Many linear actuators can be manually wired to do what you're asking without a controller. Just some wires and a couple of buttons.
  • Actobotics (site with that name, or try ServoCity; both are the same outfit) have these, and 24" in a common length. It's "off the shelf" to a point. You don't mention how the device is to be controlled, but given where you posted your question, a BASIC Stamp or Propeller would work equally nice. Their basic channel slider kit doesn't come with encoders, but you could add them, and then know exactly where the slide is at any given moment.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2016-04-21 00:07
    Not cheap, not fast, and too short (140 mm=5.5") but off the shelf: some linear actuators can be controlled with servo-type control pulses, and thus operable with a Stamp, Propeller, Arduino, even manually by standard RC gear or a $1 servo tester.

http://www.robotshop.com/en/firgelli-technologies-l16-actuator-140mm-351-6v-rc-control.html

If it were me, I'd just make a flattish rolling platform, using small wheels locked onto a pair of rotating axles to ensure it rolls straight on a flat surface. Then motorize one axle with either a stepper motor or a gearmotor & encoder. Easy peezy.

Along those lines, I need to make a turntable for video shoots. Mount a CR servo on the bottom of a disk, shaft pointing down into a support base. IR remote control for speed, direction, and stop functions. Easy peezy.