Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Attaching a rocket to by Boe-Bot — Parallax Forums

Attaching a rocket to by Boe-Bot

I am a teacher trying to figure out how to launch an Estes model rocket from a pad mounted to a Boe-Bot. It is a six volts igniter, what is the best way to get the power to the igniter. We already tried pin 15 to Vdd lot. We would really like your input for this scenario.

Comments

• What school is this, and how do I register?
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-04-13 18:57
    CrawDad wrote: »
    I am a teacher trying to figure out how to launch an Estes model rocket from a pad mounted to a Boe-Bot. It is a six volts igniter, what is the best way to get the power to the igniter. We already tried pin 15 to Vdd lot. We would really like your input for this scenario.
    That probably did not work, and could have damaged the pin.

The best way would be using a relay, such as this,

https://www.parallax.com/product/27114

It has been tested with the BS2. I think the 20 AMP should suffice.

EDIT: Link Fixed. It's also on sale!

• @Publison, your link goes to the C3 board
  • DavidZemon wrote: »
    @Publison, your link goes to the C3 board

Thanks David. Link Fixed.

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    A relay is probably the "right" way to do it but a servo flipping a switch, or even closing a circuit using a paper clip would be more interesting.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2016-04-14 15:07
    I use FETs to turn on the electronic igniters in my model rocket launcher. I haven't used it for a while, but I think I was using IRL520 or IRF520 MOSFETs. Seems like someone on here posted a similar rocket launcher that could also do multiple rockets. Guess I need to get mine back up on the website soon.

Edit: Didn't find the post I was looking for, but I did find a whole discussion of electronic igniter circuits here: http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/92938/firing-circuit
  • This is an interesting concept.

At one point, read when I first found out about the BOE Bot's crawler treads kit; I had in mind a launcher mounted on the back of a BOE Bot with the crawler tread kit, loaded with a small rocket crawling to the launch point when it gets there, it would wait several seconds. And from there would then launch the thing.

It would then return to the ground crew, read the individual who set the thing up and set it to do all of that.

Then of course the recovery group goes into work recovering it when it finishes its trip.

And since the company makes a series of sensors I originally thought of a whole idea using them the same way. The launcher would not be travelling to the launch point however, since the rocket would be much larger.

I'd say we are moving to a completely different thread now.
  • Thanks so much, really good advice. This is my first year teaching electronics and robotics and I appreciate the help. My students and I can't wait to get started on this!