Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Elev-8 Flight Controller + Cheap Quad? — Parallax Forums

Elev-8 Flight Controller + Cheap Quad?

I'd really love to try my hand at tweaking the Elev-8 Flight Controller software, but I don't have any RC equipment at all, so to start out I'd have to pay $1,000 for the complete kit. YOUCH. That's a very expensive toy.

But the Elev-8 FC is just $150 - that I could manage. Is there another quad + transmitter + battery/charger set for way less money that I could retrofit to use the Elev-8 FC? Obviously the software would need tweaking to make it fly well on a new airframe, but that's exactly what I'm interested in.

Or do I just need to accept that this stuff is expensive, even for an amateur?

Comments

• Hi David,

A huge part of the cost is the transmitter. The new Spektrum DXe transmitter comes in a much lower price-- maybe check that out along with the Elev-8 V3 kit. The DXe is about $260 less than the DX7 model in that complete kit.

• VonSzarvas wrote: »
    Hi David,

A huge part of the cost is the transmitter. The new Spektrum DXe transmitter comes in a much lower price-- maybe check that out along with the Elev-8 V3 kit. The DXe is about $260 less than the DX7 model in that complete kit.

That is wonderful, thank you. A much more affordable option. I know the higher-end models can be programmed for exponential gains on the sticks - can this one be programmed too? I've heard that's one of the features that can make the expensive Spektrums well worth the money.
  • I was going to suggest an OrangeRX from HobbyKing, but the Dx6e is just above that price, and comes with a receiver, so it'll be about the same. You should be able to run the FC on anything that you can fit it into - it's got a 50mm square mount pattern, so any frame that will accommodate it should work.

Regardless of what you get, the transmitter, batteries, and charger will likely be usable on other models if you get more later, but you're probably looking at a minimum initial outlay of ~$500 (total).
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-04-10 22:57
    You will need the USB cable to do expanded programing from the PC, (SPMA3081-Mobile, SPMA3065- PC)

Check out the PC sortware here:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM1000

I see Kyle is on. Maybe we will hear from him since he actually has these at Parallax.

• The Spektrum DXe is a quality answer to the HobbyKing and Turnigy transmitters. And, we will support the purchase and use of a DXe with the V3. I don't suggest the HobbyKing or Turnigy transmitters - I worked with them at a customer's location where they had 20 V3s and couldn't properly setup a handful of Turnigy transmitters.

Ken Gracey
  • DavidZemon wrote: »
    I'd really love to try my hand at tweaking the Elev-8 Flight Controller software, but I don't have any RC equipment at all, so to start out I'd have to pay $1,000 for the complete kit. YOUCH. That's a very expensive toy.

But the Elev-8 FC is just $150 - that I could manage. Is there another quad + transmitter + battery/charger set for way less money that I could retrofit to use the Elev-8 FC? Obviously the software would need tweaking to make it fly well on a new airframe, but that's exactly what I'm interested in.

Or do I just need to accept that this stuff is expensive, even for an amateur?

I think it's useful to consider (in my opinion) the ELEV-8 v3 as a "tool" (platform for learning and development) rather than (or at least in addition to) a toy. You may hear me mention this in Parallax's documentation or social media, so I thought I'd take a minute to explain why I say such a thing. Perhaps most importantly, I say so to try to distinguish Parallax and it's customers from the mass-market consumer that buys a drone at the hobby store, and before they have even opened the instructions or even know that there are regulations on sUAVs, are out flying it (far to often in a reckless or illegal fashion). I firmly believe that individuals who take the time and effort to build their own quadcopter (and hopefully read all of the safety guidelines along the way) are far more likely to use their sUAV in a safe and legal manner. That's one of the reasons why I don't plan on releasing a pre-assembled version of the ELEV-8 v3 in the foreseeable future.

Sure this might sound like a bunch of marketing garbage, but I believe it's an important distinction. As you all know, the ELEV-8 is not plug-and-play; it requires effort and knowledge on the part of the user. Users will get the most out of it when utilized as a means to an end, not the end product itself (ie as a means to capture aerial photography or learn about sUAVs versus to fly only for amusement). It is very powerful in its capabilities, but also in its danger if mishandled (I also think it's too dangerous to be called a toy). I tell customers (since I'm not a marketing/sales person) that if they want a toy, they should look elsewhere. When used as a "tool", I also the cost is more justifiable, and it is more likely to provide a tangible benefit that will be useful for years to come. Or maybe this is all just me trying to justify all the money I have spent on this "hobby" :)

To be clear, I don't mean to imply that you (@DavidZemon) are looking for a "toy" as I have just defined it. I think the ELEV-8 would suit your needs very well; you seem to be looking for a platform to adapt and learn from, which is exactly what the ELEV-8 v3 is designed for. Of course, in addition to that capability it is also "an object, especially a gadget or machine, regarded as providing amusement for an adult" (a "toy"). So maybe i'm just in denial :/
    DavidZemon wrote: »
    VonSzarvas wrote: »
    Hi David,

That is wonderful, thank you. A much more affordable option. I know the higher-end models can be programmed for exponential gains on the sticks - can this one be programmed too? I've heard that's one of the features that can make the expensive Spektrums well worth the money.

Unfortunately, sUAVs (at least quality ones) are expensive. Luckily I think they offer a solid return on investment. If you are looking for ways to trim costs, I would indeed recommend the DXe. Exponential isn't really necessary for quadcopters (unless you are racing). The DXe technically has an exponential feature that can be enabled via the computer software, but it is currently just on or off, no other adjustment :(