Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Get Better Soon Carol! — Parallax Forums

Get Better Soon Carol!

Some of you know that forum member and roboticist Carol Lynn Hazlett has been in the hospital.

Let's wish her well. Thanks to erco for some inspiration.

Ode to CLH

I knocked on the door, and asked someone,
“Can Carol, come out and play?”
“No! She’s sick” the doc has said,
“She’ll be better soon one day!”

In her bed, she “SENSING” new things!
Her friends just watch and pray.
And hope for a time - a time real soon,
When Carol comes out to play.

“So?” scoffers ask, “What’s C DIFF?”
“Well… she helps make my robot run!”
“It’s no big deal to program and build!”
“Ah, but Carol codes in PUNS!”

Comments

• Sorry to hear this. I hope she gets better soon.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    Yes, she has shared her hospital visits on Facebook but not here. Sounds like she's finally got the right diagnosis and now they can do proper treatment. Not out of the woods yet, so she and we need be patient. And send robots!

• I only recently discovered Carol's hospital stay, and my best wishes.

My mother ultimately died of the same condition, though she was in her 90s and frail toward the end, and it hits the elderly the hardest. It's a not uncommon illness in nursing homes, and tends to come about when they treat other bacterial infections, killing the protective bacteria in the intestines, and allowing the C.difficle to propagate. As Carol had noted in her FB posts, C.diff can cause kidney failure, and ultimately, sepsis.

So, Carol's condition is one to be concerned about, but as she has indicated, they appear to have caught it early, and with good hospital care, I'm sure she'll be out in no time, building more robots!
  • Sorry to hear this about one of our prized thread participants.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2016-04-10 02:43
    C.diff (Clostridium difficile) is an opportunistic bacterium that can take over when certain antibiotics kill the beneficial bacteria in the gut, and it's highly infectious. Fortunately, it almost always succumbs to proper treatment with a different panel of antibiotics. So Carol's outlook is quite positive -- especially since she's in the hospital and not in an outpatient situation, like a nursing home. (I know all this, since my dad went through the same thing several years ago.)

Carol, if you're reading this, please accept my best wishes for a full and speedy recovery! I know you're in good hands, so there's every reason to be optimistic.

Cheers!
    -Phil
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2016-04-10 07:46
    Carol,
    I want to write in the air using the ELEV-8 this ......

Carol_5ELEV8.jpg

I'm waiting for your help....

Get Well soon!
    550 x 390 - 34K
    Nikos: I'm betting that could actually be done BETTER with one big quad and a trailing T manifold. Let's do this thing!!!

nikos.jpg
    1200 x 300 - 85K
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2016-04-11 09:41
    erco wrote: »
    Nikos: I'm betting that could actually be done BETTER with one big quad and a trailing T manifold. Let's do this thing!!!

nikos.jpg

Very good idea!

The question is how to manipulate the open-close operation of those 7 holes of your T manifold.......
    From a first thought you need 7 servos- motors......
    ....... or maybe only one motor and two pipes. ........
    The one rotating inside the other with different holes in their surface.....
    .... So every time you 'll have a different combination from open holes......

Low-pressure air valves, could be servo operated.
  • Or you could take a cue from Whit and use a string of WS2812's on a bar behind the quad. Do a long exposure photo at night. I might have to try this.
    Nice idea Jason. You're a capable fellow and I'm sure will succeed with your LEDs in short order.

Me, I'm just blowing smoke. :)
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Small solenoids over each hole in the "T"
  • JasonDorie wrote: »
    Or you could take a cue from Whit and use a string of WS2812's on a bar behind the quad. Do a long exposure photo at night. I might have to try this.

I did a couple test flights inside. It's fun but the LEDs you use for night time orientation get mixed up in the letters. I may have to go with autopilot.

Carol is planning on doing the same with the Elev-8. Here's a pic of the testing. I've made a few new routines since then. One of them are bubbles that look like exhaust. The letters look better inverted, so the background is always on and changing color and the letters are dark/off LEDs.

2048 x 1150 - 54K
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Very impressive xanadu and JasonDorie!

I'm with you erco - I was thinking the same idea or even multiple chimneys (per Nikos drawing).