Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I Fried My Elev-8's Innards — Parallax Forums

I Fried My Elev-8's Innards

GlassKNeesGlassKNees Posts: 181
edited 2016-04-27 16:00 in Robotics
Had a bad day a few weeks ago while troubleshooting a balky motor on my Elev-8. My quad has an APM 2.6 flight controller/autopilot and has a power module spliced in line with the battery connection and the power distribution harness. The power module's purpose is to produce clean 5V to power the APM and associated electronics - GPS/compass and telemetry transceiver. I used bullet connectors to splice the module in.

While troubleshooting, I accidentally reversed the power/ground leads of the battery connector to the power module and when I plugged in the battery, the resultant current surge melted the solder on the battery connector leads! Needless to say, everything connected to the power distribution harness was fried - all four ESCs, the APM power module and my video transmitter. Fortunately, I had previously removed the gimbal controller board so the gimbal wasn't damaged.

So, I found myself ordering a new power distribution harness and ESCs from Parallax and a Chinese clone APM power module from Amazon. what follows are my repairs:

Here is the new APM power module connected to the new wiring harness - I used bullet connectors connect them together:

DSCF2269_zpstxnup1zb.jpg

I used a plastic crate to hold the copter while I worked on its underside as I didn't want to remove the GPS mast.... After removing the old wiring harness I installed each ESC one at a time, using a spare receiver to calibrate the ESC and throttle up the motor to make sure it is spinning in the correct direction:

DSCF2275_zpsncbxypbt.jpg

Here is the craft after installing all ESCs and the new wiring harness:

DSCF2278_zpsftzfxivc.jpg

Finally, after installing the new gimbal control board it was time to power up the aircraft and do an all-in-one EXC calibration. I discovered that I had the gimbal motor connections reversed (easy to fix) and I didn't quite have the receiver channel connection to the gimbal correct, but that too was easy to fix. Calibration of the ESC's went without a hitch, and I was able to control the camera tilt.

Time to take it out for a test flight!

vid296.photobucket.com/albums/mm185/GlassKnees/DSCF2289_zpsi5rg9ydk.mp4

Here is the video from the aircraft:

vid296.photobucket.com/albums/mm185/GlassKnees/Test%20Flight%20Onboard%20Video_zpsrsv5eqs3.mp4

A new video transmitter should arrive next week. In the meantime, I can fly by keeping the camera in one position...

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    I sympathize. Been there, done that! Learned the hard way to use polarized connectors whenever possible and then double check everything before applying power.
  • Yeah, I use polarized connectors if possible for exactly the same reason. It's a crappy lesson, but usually you only have to learn it once. :)
  • I use Anderson power poles. You can polarize and set them up in four different configurations.

Jonathan
  • All of our remaining ELEV-8 V2 parts are on final markdown if that helps you resupply. Best of luck.
    https://parallax.com/product/elev-8-v2
  • Well, I ended up back with the original problem. After a successful test flight yesterday, I had problems this morning - balky motor... #4. I would gradually throttle up but as I got close to takeoff, the #4 motor quit. After several attempts, power cycling the aircraft the #4 motor continued to balk on takeoff. I recently bought 4 motors that Parallax had on sale so I broke one out and replaced it.

Took it out for a test flight - appeared to be solid. Manually flew around - pitch, yaw, roll - all seems okay. But then the aircraft settled down in auto land mode, as if it reached power failsafe. I have the failsafe voltage set to 10.5, and I'm sure that it didn't reach that. the only way to tell for sure is to check the log file or fly it again with Mission Planner running so I can see what's going on.

Meanwhile, I have to repair my other Elev-8. I received a new mount plate and GPS mast. I expect to have it ready to go again in a couple of days....
  • I just did a quick tally of parts on sale needed to build a V2 ship... I'll have to check my math but I came up with 309.26 for everything without a controller or receiver. Adding a Chinese clone APM 2.6, 3DR GPS, props, vibration dampener, telemetry transceivers, 6 channel receiver, GPS mast will run another $219. So, for about $530 you can have an Elev-8 V2 ship upgraded with APM flight controller/autopilot that has a lot of capabilities!

BTW, my replacement video transmitter arrived and I installed it - I now have FPV capability via my stabilized GoPro.
  • Hmmm. La Tupina looks like a great place to eat!

Well, since replacing the electrical subsystem, I've had a few flights with no problems. But then an intermittent problem showed up - the #2 motor started exhibiting the same behavior as the previous #4 motor - sputtering and stopping after attempting to throttle up for takeoff. Yesterday, I managed to get all four motors spinning and I took off, but being wary, I hovered over my front lawn about a foot or two off the ground and I'd see a momentary wobble as if the #2 motor wanted to cut out.

I removed the #2 boom and ESC, connected the ESC to a spare receiver and tried the motor - initially it sputtered and would not spin smoothly. So I tried another ESC and it worked fine - no problem with the motor. I connected the #2 ESC back again and the motor spun okay.... Both ESCs are brand new.

So now I'm suspecting something is awry with the APM flight controller. I'm going to reassemble the aircraft, but replace the wires going from the ESC to the power distribution harness.

I've ordered a new APM - need to replace the autopilot on my other Elev-8; if the problem crops up again, I put the new controller on this ship and see what happens.

BTW, 3D Robotics has discontinued the APM, so you can only get Chinese clones. I'm not too concerned about this as there are a ton of them out there. My Tarot hex has a clone APM and it's working fine....
  • In case you didn't see... Parallax has a Spring Cleaning sale on right now -

The HoverflyOPEN flight controller is super low cost, and even the new Parallax ELEV-8 flight controller is on a crazy low introductory offer discount.

Might be worth grabbing a few parts to stock up.
  • APM offers more capability than either the Hoverfly or new Parallax controller. With GPS/compass, APM gives you close to a dozen different flight modes, not to mention the ability to fly autonomously (auto). Also, Mission Planner is robust and mature.
  • Cool, sounds like your covered. I just knee-jerked after the set-up issues you'd had/having.

If you're flying, then you're flying !
    That's the main thing.

Enjoy!
  • GlassKNees wrote: »
    APM offers more capability than either the Hoverfly or new Parallax controller.

Yes and no. Get an Activity Bot kit. Once you experience how easy the Propeller Micro is to work with you'll understand the capability of the Elev-8 FC.

• APM is for people who want their quads to fly without user input. Elev8-FC is for people who want to fly themselves, learn the inner workings, and hack. :)

That said, GPS is pretty high on my list of additions. I have basic NEMA parsing code already working, and I think return-to-land and position hold are actually possible within the space available on the current hardware. Waypoints and full mission planning I'm not so sure about.
  • "APM is for people who want their quads to fly without user input" Hardly. APM makes it easy for a novice pilot to develop their skills without spending so much time crashing and repairing their aircraft. Depending on the nature of the mission I want to fly, I have choices as to which flight modes I want to employ. For example, I may want to do a video shoot and concentrate on handling the camera - in this case, yes, I might want to let the autopilot do the flying for me. I used my quad to surveil an area that's heavily wooded - again, I chose to fly autonomously. But other times, I want to fly with other guys and shoot video of their aircraft in flight - that I do manually. But when I do fly manually, I can choose the flight modes that best suit me, including acro, if I want to fly aggressively.

BTW, I did solve my motor sputter problem. I fabricated a new set of wires going from the ESC to the motor and I replaced the motor as well. It flies great now.

My new APM arrived today, so I'll install it on my other Elev-8 tomorrow. I'm thinking of modifying the other Elev-8: replace the motors with Tarot 4006 620KV motors and 13" props. The Tarot motor mounts will fit on the Elev-8 booms and the ESCs will mount under the motors. I'll use gimbal hooks to hang a pair of 10mm carbon fiber tubes to mount a 4S battery and a Tarot 2 axis gimbal.
  • The older Hoverfly Sport / Open controllers were significantly harder to fly, but I think the new Elev8-FC might surprise you - It does not have GPS or anything that stems from that, but it's very well behaved in the stability and assist flight modes. There's also a manual mode if you want to flip it, and I hope to add a mixed version (often called "ratitude" on other controllers) so you can flip it and then let go and have it self-level again.

I'm not trying to sell you one, by the way - I think the APM is a great platform, I just want to make sure anyone who might be considering an Elev8 flight controller gets that it's absolutely NOT the same as the HoverFly boards.

This is how the Elev8-FC behaves when you turn it on after throwing it into the air - I'm not touching anything but the throttle here, initially (start it at 1:12):

The Elev8 frame will handle that too, I just chose to use a lighter airframe for the first attempt at this in case something went wrong. (this was the first time I had tried throw launching it)
  • Well, for me, I've invested a lot of time, effort and $$ to make the switch, and I'm happy with my flight controller solution. Each flight controller makes assumptions on the ordering and spin direction of each motor - that's why I ended up buying a second Elev-8 kit w/o the controller. But later on, I was so happy with my APM-equipped ship that my first Elev-8 just sat in the closet without being used. So I upgraded it as well. Now I'm exploring replacing motors that will give me better endurance. Too bad Parallax didn't provide an upgrade path for V2 owners.... Hmmm, perhaps this is worth a new discussion...
  • When Parallax offers some form of GPS support I'm nearly certain we'll have the most properly documented, open, useful and friendly system available.

As for the lack of V2 upgrade path GlassKNees speaks about, the improvements were far too beneficial to stick with the old airframe, ESCs and motors. We've not done enough to discuss the benefits of the V3 (especially the Flight Controller's expandability) but time will show this to be the best hobbyist and educational kit available.

Ken Gracey