Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Tin Toy Robot Manufacturing — Parallax Forums

Tin Toy Robot Manufacturing

ercoerco Posts: 20,256
Old school and amazing to watch.

Comments

• Hard to imagine how much work went into making them.. It was a little scary how close that one guys fingers were to that punch press. OSHA would have a cow!
  • I love the sound the flat metal sheets make when they go through the press. And who needs LEDs when you have a mechanical sparker?

-Phil
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    I think it's amazing that the metal is distortion printed first, then punched/shaped/assembled and the paint stays on and doesn't even get scratched off in the process(es).

Of course, they've been doing it this way for 50+ years and have refined it to a high art.

@Hal: Agreed, those flywheel-powered punch presses wouldn't even slow down after injuring someone. Yikes.

@ Phil: I'm also huge a fan of those flints & flickering sparks!

The mini-tutorial on the machine gun robot's "Rotate-O-Matic" is also cool. The whole timing cycle is based on the slow relative rotation and camming motion of two concentric gears (46T & 47T) driven by the same pinion.
  • Thanks for sharing! The best 14 minutes I spent today!! (the follow up video on making dumplings was a bit disturbing)

(distortion painting - now I know the term)
    I thought that was interesting too very high quality considering all the hands on and opportunities for disaster.

I wonder when these robots were being made, what they sold for and how much the workers were making. The final assembly was completely by hand. Maybe not much different than today with iDevices' final assembly.

I'd like to see the video on the making of the machines that make the robots.
  • erco wrote:
    I think it's amazing that the metal is distortion printed first, then punched/shaped/assembled and the paint stays on and doesn't even get scratched off in the process(es).
    Bottle caps are done the same way. IIRC, the design process begins by drawing a regular grid on a sample of the metal, then stamping it to see how it distorts. The design can then be sketched on the stamped part, to see where each part winds up on the grid. Then it can be transcribed back to the unstamped grid.

Yeah, that's some really tough - and pliable -- paint!

-Phil
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2016-03-24 20:51
    FANTASTIC video! It seems like they would cost thousands of dollars!
    Bottle caps are done the same way. IIRC, the design process begins by drawing a regular grid on a sample of the metal, then stamping it to see how it distorts. The design can then be sketched on the stamped part, to see where each part winds up on the grid. Then it can be transcribed back to the unstamped grid.

Hot Wheels cars are also decorated using distortion printing, but sort of the reverse of this, called tampo printing. The die-cast car is first painted (Ransburg electrostatic) then fixed in place, then a carefully-crafted sponge, with paint applied, is pressed around the car. The sponge distorts and applies paint incredibly accurately to print graphics and fine text. Wait, who's name is that on the roof?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Hot-Wheels-TRACK-STARS-76-244-X-Raycers-SEE-THROUGH-BODY-1969-Chevelle-NIB-/400772436330
    1600 x 1215 - 265K
  • Thanks for sharing the video, I really enjoyed it.
    Very interesting to see how much was done by hand.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2016-03-25 20:39
    That was trap neat. I had one of those stop and rotate robots and always wondered how it worked.

Update: auto correct snuck a word in when I wasn't looking.
  • A lot of work went into the design of those machines and tools and the fact that they still work today is testament to how well they were designed and built. Design is as much art as it is science and many times it takes a few tries to get it right.

Erco,
    Is your sponge painting related to pad-printing?

Genetix wrote: »
    Erco,
    Is your sponge painting related to pad-printing?

Yes, they are the same, some folks call them tampo pads.

Whit wrote: »
    FANTASTIC video! It seems like they would cost thousands of dollars!

Then I'm sure you'll pony up a mere $3.50 for one or two of these little (4.5" tall) fellows, like I did!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182062970855
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Curse you erco! Too cool to pass up - Couldn't resist... SOLD. Mine is on it's way...

Knowing you and reading your post (advertisements) is like having a child in college - rewarding, but hard on the wallet! ;-)

805 x 805 - 146K