Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Importance Of Insuring Your Battery Is Secured On Elev-8 — Parallax Forums

Importance Of Insuring Your Battery Is Secured On Elev-8

GlassKNeesGlassKNees Posts: 181
edited 2016-04-27 16:01 in Robotics
I had a mishap a couple of days ago while flying my Elev-8 on a windy day. While it didn't seem particularly windy at ground level, I noticed that my copter was having difficulty holding its position while flying in Loiter mode (my copter is equipped with an APM 2.6 flight controller/autopilot). It was pretty high and a hundred yards or so downrange and appeared to be drifting away, so I switched to RTL in order to bring the aircraft back. As it responded and was on its way back I saw it suddenly wobble sharply and then fall. As it dropped out of the sky, I saw something falling away from the aircraft. At first, I thought the copter had thrown a propeller but the object seemed heavier. The aircraft fell upside down, breaking the GPS mast, the telemetry transceiver antenna, and the support plate I used to mount the APM vibration dampener. Also, some pins were bent on the APM itself; I was using a Chinese clone APM where the connectors plug in vertically. I found the battery about 15 feet away from the copter.

I suspect that due to the buffeting from the winds, the battery slipped loose from the two velcro straps I used and as it fell, it pulled the aircraft off balance and then became disconnected and fell free. There doesn't appear to be any indication of a propeller strike on the battery. Fortunately, the damage looks worse than it is. I've ordered a new mounting plate and GPS mast and straightened the pins on the APM. I don't know if the APM is okay - will have to wait until I receive the parts and complete the repairs - will probably disassemble the aircraft to insure that the booms are not bent.

The lesson here is make sure that the battery is well secured to the aircraft. I thought mine was secure enough, but wind buffeting can really shake things up...

Comments

• I use straps to hold the battery in, but also have Velcro strips on the battery and the base plate as well, to prevent it from sliding around. I've had batteries eject from planes before, and it's never pretty.
  • I think I'm going to do just what you've done - add velcro. Thanks!