Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DIY Turbojet Engine Control — Parallax Forums

DIY Turbojet Engine Control

I'm new to STAMP but not programming and logic control. My son and I are close to being done (80%) building a turbojet engine. I want to add some engine control (more as I get better). For now, temp sensor, RPM and pressure transducer. Does anyone have a basic code dump they can offer me to use as a starting point so I can get up to speed on this? I also want to add an LCD screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't have the controller yet but will be the 2PX with supercarrier. I have downloaded all I can find (manual, example code etc) and have started getting familiar. Thanks.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2016-02-18 03:28
    Welcome to the forum, anaxcontrol! I have nothing specific to contribute, but what a great project! Takes me back to my first job out of college working at Pratt & Whitney in Florida on the F100 turbojet engine in the F-15 and F-16 fighters. I was an engineer in the Component Improvement Program to make that hot rod of an engine last longer between self-destructs. They were just transitioning from the EEC (electronic engine control) to DEEC (digital EEC).

My biggest project was writing a massive (for me anyway) FORTRAN program to evaluate proposed changed to the engine and running cost effectiveness analyses on various methods of getting the change incorporated, at next minor/major inspection (best), forced recall (most expensive), or just waiting for the part to fail (cheapest and least recommended). Heavy into probability and statistics (mainly Weibull analysis) and tracking a huge worldwide database of actual engine configurations. At that time, only the Israelis had used the F-16s in actual combat and dogfights. We desperately wanted their failure rate data but could never get it. Fun fact: in tight maneuvers, the turbine disks act like flywheels and resist motion, wiping out the knife edge seals on the turbine blade tips. Our USAF Thunderbird planes get a lot of wear & tear doing aerobatics, that's all we had to look at for simulated "combat condition" data.

For cost effectiveness, I might have suggested switching to BS2s for engine control had they been around in 1982. :)

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2016-02-19 17:16
    anaxcontrol,

Sounds like an awesome project.

I can't help thinking that for an engine controller a Propeller would be a better choice than a STAMP.

The last time I did any work on controller for jet engines in it was for Lucas Aerospace and the Rolls Royce Trent motor used on the 777. That involved a lot of time critical processing. Not that I'm any expert in Turbo Jet Engine Control, we only created the code to meet the specifications.

Anyway, my little point is that with it's 8 cores a Propeller is very well suited to such real-time control systems. Being able to separate "urgent stuff" from user interface activity, for example, is trivial. And very robust.
    But a propeller on a jet engine would make it a turboprop...
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    I believe Chip is still working on the "Turboprop" aka P2. Available any time soon.

• erco wrote: »
    But a propeller on a jet engine would make it a turboprop...
    Clever. I actually laughed when I read that.
    Is this jet engine on a treadmill, by any chance?
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2016-02-27 07:25
    If you do consider the Propeller chip have a look at this free book(link below)

It has temp , ADC's for voltage, displays etc. The code is in the book. (the book is excellent!!)

https://www.parallax.com/news/2015-02-26/download-new-book-jon-titus-experiments-propeller-quickstart

You could make a nice display with something like this :

Propeller Demo - uOLED-160-GMD1-uSD(Complete)

Another graphics example:

AttoPilot - UAV Autopilot system

Propeller Object exchange ( ready to run software modules)

Example Pressure sensors
    http://obex.parallax.com/search/pressure

You could use a screen from 4D systems for Prop:
    http://www.4dsystems.com.au/
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 9,014
    edited 2016-02-27 15:27
    I am in agreement with the others: for your project the Propeller is probably your best choice. You can start in Spin/PASM, and move to C or Forth or even back to BASIC if you choose. The multi-core approach will allow you to create measurements and a nice display without fear of one element fouling another's timing. As with many in these forums, I use the Propeller in my personal and professional life (entertainment), and have written over 100 libraries that are available for you and others to use.
  • Thank you all for your feedback. My apologies for being off the net for a while as I had some wrist surgery. In either case- the propeller is definitely a good unit but I decided to stick with the 2px24. It's more than sufficient for this purpose. I'll receive it next week and start from there. Should be a great project- I'll post some pics