Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MakerShed Sale — Parallax Forums

MakerShed Sale

ercoerco Posts: 20,256
edited 2016-01-29 21:34 in Robotics
Hopefully you roboticists visit General Discussion and saw JonM's post about Maker Shed's sale. I'm resharing here just in case since they are already selling out of some items (Dynamixel servos etc). Smokin' deals on Parallax gear too (Activity board $20). $75+ orders ship for $5. You heard it here second! :)

http://www.makershed.com/collections/winter-blowout-50-80-off

I spent $88 without even trying. It's downright silly not to buy at those prices!

Comments

• erco wrote: »
    Hopefully you roboticists visit General Discussion and saw JonM's post about Maker Shed's sale. I'm resharing here just in case since they are already selling out of some items (Dynamixel servos etc). Smokin' deals on Parallax gear too (Activity board $20). $75+ orders ship for $5. You heard it here second! :)

Missed that! My order was alrealy on the way.

EDIT: Look like servos are sold out.

• Is this legit?

How are the prices so low?
  • Is this legit?

How are the prices so low?

Like they said. Winter Blow out Sale. They need to get rid of inventory.

The ELEV8 is version 1, so it is a few years old.
  • Keith YoungKeith Young Posts: 569
    edited 2016-01-30 00:06
    It's not often I buy stuff without asking my wife. But in this case she is on a plane, items are running out, and I just saved 70% on a bunch of stuff I needed and a little stuff I didn't.
  • Just ask erco, it's all about the stuff you don't need, until you need them. :)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    erco says "Fresh inventory is better than Fresh outventory."
  • Yeah, the deals are crazy good there and I noticed some prices actually dropped from what was listed in the morning. The BoE Shield Robot for Arduino (no Uno) was $69 but then dropped to $49; that is the price of just the shield.

The dilemma now is that the Parallax site has it's own sale going on now. Must resist the temptation.
    Yes, I saw that prices dropped again AND first timers can get 10% the sale prices with discount code SIGNUP131 .

Simply ridiculous. Like I needed that 20-servo hexapod, BoE shield and Arduino robot. But for $50 each, I just hadda.
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2016-01-30 13:02
    Whew! I started with only about $40 worth of stuff I wanted, but the $20 shipping was a deal breaker. But when they dropped the hexapod to $50 (80% off!), that was the final push I needed. Between the discount code (thanks, erco!) and the $5 shipping, that saved me like $20 on top of the already great discounts! :)
  • I love a good sale as much as the next nerd, but I'm a little concerned over why they've dropping prices so much. It looks very much like a clearance sale, and I'm not too happy with the idea of clearing out the Propeller Activity Board. Maker Shed doesn't carry all that many Propeller-based products.
  • Something is odd about this sale and clearance. It's good for the consumer, of course, but I can't help but wonder what stimulated the prices. Usually, these kinds of sales are for items they're going to discontinue because they don't sell. But there's the Propeller Activity Board, the Shield Robot Kit for Arduino (a very high-volume mover) and other really good products like the Solarbotics Herbie Mousebot. A bit erratic.

Ken Gracey
    Shop first, ask questions later.

It's especially odd to have such a heavily discounted fire sale, then cut prices even further. They are selling some stuff that I've never seen discounted, like that Gakken biped kit, which is always $50.
  • Yeah, some of the discounted stuff is listed as new to the site so that is a bit odd. Perhaps it is a prelude to something to come later with the site or they are looking to go another direction. A $275 Official Arduino Robot Kit for $50 is a bit nuts though.

Although the deep discounts on the Parallax stuff could spark an interest in someone in the Propeller who was sitting on the side lines due to the price.
  • At one time, Maker Shed was heavily skewed toward offering mostly kits and parts for the articles that ran in MAKE. As an example I developed a low-end parts kit for an article I did for the magazine some years back. The kit would never have sold except for the article. Maybe they're balancing their inventory and getting back to core products that leverage the magazine, and it doesn't necessarily mean these haven't sold well. Perhaps they're just looking to refocus.
  • JonM wrote: »
    A $275 Official Arduino Robot Kit for $50 is a bit nuts though.

Right, and that price is well below what they would have paid for it. It's clearly being sold at a loss, so this is a "blowout" sale in all definitions of the term.

If anyone needs to add a few bucks to hit $75 for $5 shipping, add some of these laser-cut plywood rubber band kits. reduced from $35 to

FITTY CENT! (OK, actually 49 cents but fitty cent sounds cooler).

http://www.makershed.com/products/bandit-rubber-band-sheriff-shotgun-kit

I stocked up. Literally, stocking stuffers for years.
    They are discontinuing items that mankind clearly doesn't use. Like tools.

http://www.makershed.com/products/make-electronics-deluxe-toolkit
    If anyone needs to add a few bucks to hit $75 for $5 shipping, add some of these laser-cut plywood rubber band kits. reduced from $35 to

NOOO!!! How did I miss those :'(

I might have to make another order....
  • zappmanzappman Posts: 418
    edited 2016-01-30 18:38
    erco wrote: »

I spent $88 without even trying. It's downright silly not to buy at those prices!

Darn you "Erco", "JonM" and "MakerShed" (just kidding), you made me spend some cash !!!

The temptation was too much, resistance was futile !!!

I ended up placing an order :)

PS: I used the "first timers get 10% off the sale prices with discount code SIGNUP131"

• DavidZemon wrote: »
    erco wrote: »

NOOO!!! How did I miss those :'(

I might have to make another order....

You'll only need to buy 154 kits to get the $5 shipping! Just imagine the rubber band battle you could stage. :lol:
    We've evolved from 'brick & mortar' to 'click and hoarder'!

You'd have to buy seven of 'em to sound cool, in which case it would set you back about tree fitty. Gotta get these media references right, you know.

• Finally in touch with my wife so now I can ask if I can get robots etc.

Wish me luck!
    Don't ask, don't tell! :)
  • Well I'll have to quote Han Solo from The Force Awakens here:

"Women always find out the truth"

I still can't wrap my head around why they are dropping prices so much. I understand wanting to move product out, but they're clearly selling some of this below what they bought it for.
    Three orders later, my Paypal bank account is drained. If Maker Shed drops prices any further, this hoarder will be on suicide watch. :)

Hey where are Martin, Duane, Rick & Rich? Whit's in church...
    I just noticed that no Paypal transactions have gone thru yet. My email reads "You authorized a transaction to Maker Media, Inc.. Money won't leave your account until Maker Media, Inc. processes your order."

Hopefully MakerShed bosses don't come in Monday to discover massive pricing errors from a disgruntled website employee and cancel all the orders!
  • Yeah. I'm still suspicious of how low these prices are.

The force sensors I bought were $0.49 rather than $9.99. Crazy. Plus their shipping is super low.
  • I bought an Activity Board and one of the X/Y plotters with a laser attachment, and a few other things that escape me at the moment. Nerd Christmas!
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-01-31 21:15
    Surprised the Activity Boards and ELEV8 have not sold out.

I think the USB Proto Board is still on sale, although it does not show up when you search "Parallax".

http://www.makershed.com/products/propeller-proto-board-usb