Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help sending Basic Stamp data over Wifi — Parallax Forums

Help sending Basic Stamp data over Wifi

This discussion was created from comments split from: getting a basic stamp to brodcast a webserver.....

Comments

• Mike,

I am trying to design a Basic Stamp driven device that will monitor air conditioning condensing unit pressures and temperatures.

Once this data is collected, I need help on how to send via WiFi over the Internet to a central data collection server.

The attached PDF illustrates the reporting sequence. You can click on Analog to Digital Converter, HTML5 Enabled Wireless Module, or Basic Stamp Computer and it will link to various web pages that detail each item.

However, I have no clue how to get the Basic Stamp to send this data. Please advise.
  • Hi
    bbowie wrote: »
    I am trying to design a Basic Stamp driven device....

Hi @bbowie !

Welcome the the Parallax Forums!

You posted to an old (2008) thread, so I have moved your question to it's own new thread.

Please feel free to start a new thread with your questions, rather than re-opening older threads.

All the best.

• Can't help you given the very limited documentation for the Wireless Module. Just guessing from what you've provided ... it looks like the Module is designed to function on its own with a variety of analog and digital inputs and outputs ... not interfaced to a microcontroller like a Basic Stamp. Most of the newer "Internet of Things" controllers are designed to function on their own. SparkFun sells several varieties of these ... all with a microcontroller of some sort, a WiFi interface, and various inputs and outputs. Many of these are designed for use at 3.3V and cannot be used directly with a 5V device like the Basic Stamp. Note that a Propeller Activity Board plus an xBee S6B module should be able to monitor several (4) analog signals and up to 18 digital (3.3V) signals and send the data via WiFi to a central server. Theoretically you should be able to use the same xBee module with a Basic Stamp using an adapter board, but the Basic Stamp is quite limited in speed and memory capacity and that may limit what you can do with it. You can attach an Analog to Digital Converter chip quite easily to a Basic Stamp and there's plenty of documentation and sample code from Parallax on how to do this. The PINK module mentioned earlier is still available from NetBurner as the SB-70 with special firmware downloadable from NetBurner. You'd need an Ethernet to WiFi bridge. These are cheap these days.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    Nearly the same question came up last January about the Prop. Might be some juicy wifi info there to get you started.

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/159854/xbee-wifi-send-and-receive-data-from-web

• Below is a module which I just bought two of, these modules will allow you to Wi-Fi to your cell phone create panels, that include analog gauges digital readouts LCD screens or hook up to your house Wi-Fi. At this point I have only used my cell phone but it will allow you to walk up within 100 feet of your project open up a panel and read out the data that your stamp is sending this is great for a project out in the field you don't even have to hook up just walked by

http://www.miupanel.com/en-us/Examples-Products/Arduino-UNO-Examples/Arduino-Basic-Examples
  • Actually the module used by @bbowie seem to allow using only the wifi module on the board. According to the user manual (as found on the webpage linked:

3. WiFi Transceiver connection: connection between the on-board microcontroller and the WiFi transceiver. In normal use, the connection is closed by jumpers. However, user can remove the jumpers and connect cables to communicate with the WiFi transceiver directly. For example, this can upgrade the firmware of the transceiver.

So just remove the jumpers, connect teh TX and RX lines closest to the wifi module to the stamp. However I could not find any mention on teh baud used, but I would start with 115200