Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ELEV-8v2 Motor Issue and Dissatisfaction with Technical Support — Parallax Forums

ELEV-8v2 Motor Issue and Dissatisfaction with Technical Support

I purchased a ELEV-8v2 as a birthday present to myself last month, but was unable due to work and family commitments to build it until the end of December. By way of full disclosure, I am a builder by nature with quite a bit of electronics in my background including building R/C cars in my teens, but have never flown an R/C quad before. However, I flew A-6 Intruders in the US Navy so I have a passing understanding of flying and flight principles. Once I got going, I really enjoyed putting this kit together. However, during the ESC synch process, it was determined that I had a defective ESC based on the testing I performed prior to searching this forum (and finding that this issue was well documented) and then calling Tech Support. That call was very pleasant and after walking through the test process a new ESC was shipped to my expeditiously along with several other items that I decided to purchase at that time.

Unfortunately, after completing the kit, I was unable to fly it until this past week. I had seen the lessons posted on this site concerning learning to fly the V3 and decided to apply those to my learning. From the first flights in hovering, I kept finding the quad intermittently dropping one corner. Winds were light to non-existent and as I approached the quad in flight to observe more closely, I noticed that with each of these "drops" a momentary mechanical grinding accompanied the motor associated with the corner demonstrating this behavior. These "chugs" were random in nature and were not related to any massive control inputs or any repeated conditions. Feeling a little frustrated at this point, I decided to swap motors across the X (preserving the proper prop orientation) to see if this was an ESC issue again (this is a non-trivial exercise, in my opinion). The behavior moved with the motor, thus eliminating the ESC as a cause in my eyes.

Here is where my frustration became elevated. Expecting a similar response from Support as I had experienced with the ESC, I called in and spoke with the CR (name withheld at this time). Instead, I am now being put through an RMA process over this $22 part. So, instead of getting a motor to replace this, I am going to have to mail the part back (4-5 days before hands on the item), await some decision and then have another 4-5 day wait to receive it with a net delay of around 2 weeks. This is not what I would have expected based on my observation and all the feedback I have seen in the forums based on issues experienced and expressed by others; I am very disappointed by this approach. Quite frankly, I was leaning to just buying the darn thing and being done with it. However, I have decided that I will work this issue and I figured this was the only forum left to express my opinion. Please understand that I have nothing but the highest respect for Parallax and its consumer-oriented mission, but find this particular instance to be aggravating. Thank you for the vent!

Regards,
Chuck

Comments

• Hey Chuck!

We have recently pulled the V2 kits from our on-line sales and they are stored for replacement parts. It's not a problem for me to quickly pull the pieces you need and send them out to you.

Could you please send me your shipping address via e-mail to kgracey@parallax.com and we'll take care of this for you? I can have the parts to you by Thursday if you reply today.

And this isn't our normal service, too. Our Tech Support staff is free to exercise as much freedom as needed when it comes to the ELEV-8 V2 (we've had some problems with ESCs and motors).

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.
  • Mr. Gracey,
    Thank you for your follow up. PM sent.

Regards,
    Chuck
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2016-01-27 13:29
    cberrya6e - Once Parallax is aware that you have an issue - I promise they will try to help you get it fixed. Always post and ask for help here - I really believe that Parallax cares and wants to make things right by their customers. It is frustrating to have something new to experiment with - but be held up by a problem. I think Parallax really gets that...

I am constantly amazed by Parallax's incredible customer care, support, professionalism and just plain old encouragement! I have never seen them unwilling to work a problem with a customer. They bend over backwards to help and are generous with their time, resources, product information, educational information and hardware.

Ken and Chip - along with the whole crew at Parallax - are simply the best I've seen in the industry! These are some of the reasons that I am a loyal Parallax customer! Thanks Parallax!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    Amen, Brother Whit! Ken & the Parallax crew are the best, as evidenced by Ken's prompt response here. Name another company where the president/chief big dog replies so openly and swiftly in a public forum.

Parallax for life! And not just because of the Prop-BoE's lifetime warranty. :)
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    I was once buzzed by an EA-6B about a 100 miles of the California coast one morning many years ago. I remember throwing the hatch open in time to see four helmets through the gold tinted canopy as it roared overhead in a high bank about a wingspan above my mast. The rest of the day the Abe Lincoln was ran circles around me while I watched them conduct their exercises as I headed SW towards Hawaii. Maybe that was you? Yeah, it's a long shot - but not impossible.

Regarding customer service, you did exactly the right thing. A well worded, respectful post about your experience is the perfect way to get results - and quick too.
  • In my option there is nothing wrong with the motor. These buggers are magnets and probably found some metal to chew on and hence causing the intermittent pauses. I would take the motor apart and clean it out.

If one of the windings is open then that should be easy to check with a meter.

Mike
  • All,
    Concur with the commentary about Parallax. Mr. Gracey and the firm validated in a most extraordinary fashion why I went with Parallax for my first quad foray. I salute the company.

As for the Prowler incident, I was an Intruder pilot - couldn't have been me! I wouldn't have been caught dead in one of those things. ;-) My interactions with civilians was principally in and around the Cascades - Stevens Pass, Lake Chelan, and the I-90 bridge across the Columbia River. Oh yeah, scaring flocks of sheep in Western Australia on a low level training route.

Regards,
    Chuck