Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How many robots do you have? — Parallax Forums

How many robots do you have?

When my kids were younger...they thought every family had a robot.

Then they discovered that we were different...that we had neat stuff like robots and "things" that other kids just dreamt about

And of course we all know that robots get lonely...so they need company..in the form of other robots.

So a quick census...how many robots are hanging out at your house? ;<)

Comments

• ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Almost 1.

Shameful really since I have been into robots since Forbidden Planet and Lost In Space and I have been automating things for ages.

I say "almost 1" because: I bought a cheap and cheerful 2 wheel bot on a whim in our local electronics store. I fancied the idea of a relaxing evening soldering up a bunch or transistors, light sensors and it's PIC brain. After 4 months it's not quite finished yet!

Of course it will need a Propeller upgrade when I get back to it.

• I too have unbuilt kits... its a sign of a creative mind and not enough time. ;<)

In the homebuilt arena I have dozens of built, partially built and "in process" bots...I consider them all to be "projects in progress" ... almost more like prototype platforms than any means to an end.

The hobby robots that have developed over the years are more of the kits that sometimes get built but more often serve as prototype springboard to explore an area of technology (mechanical, electronic hardware, new software language, etc.).

I find the homebuilt bots are much more interesting than the kits...starting with a blank napkin design allows one the more flexibility. Many of the kits are designed to lock you into one company...very restrictive and costly...and I think that is one of the cons of hobby robots today. Parallax tends to be the exception with a more "open source" approach that I find refreshing.

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    I have six or more robots.

• Wow, that's a who's who and a what's what of robot history, do you sell tickets to the general public? That would be a way of keeping up with battery demands, or slipping a few bucks to the person that keeps your collection dust free, a very impressive collection.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    My tiny collection pales in comparison to Robot Hut and that guy does give tours. It's on my bucket list.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    So a quick census...how many robots are hanging out at your house? ;<)

What counts as a robot? A CNC mill, 3D printer, laser cutter? Wind up or battery operated toys that look like Sci Fi robots? Does it need to be programmable, have sensors to interact with its environment? Or maybe perform a useful repetitive task?

To answer the question I would need to know which things I should count and which I shouldn't.