Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
3D Printed 2-wheel robot with Propeller board — Parallax Forums

3D Printed 2-wheel robot with Propeller board

This is something I've been meaning to play with for a long time...

It's something like a bigger version of BOE-bot made with 3D printer and
a Propeller board called "Manta" that I've been working on for a long time...

The body was printed as one piece. The wheels printed separately.
For the wheels, I've made them so that the servo hubs I have mate cleanly and embed in the wheel.
Using buna O-rings that fit in grooves in the wheels to make good contact with floor.

This version is meant to be a line follower.
It has a camera on the bottom of the board that looks down to the floor under the robot.
There are white LEDs that give light for the camera (actually, these need to be moved to the sides
because they give some glare on the screen where they are on top).
The view area is about the same as the LCD size, so it worked out to be a nearly 1:1 ratio on the screen.

Right now, I'm using a Wii wireless Nunchuck to drive the bot around for testing.
My kids were having a lot of fun with that until one sat on the robot (now it needs fixing...).

Instead of a wheel or ball for the 3rd wheel, I'm using a magic slider disk that is embedded into a curved foot.
Seems to work nicely...

Anyway, just wanted to share info on this project, here are some pics:
640 x 480 - 114K
640 x 480 - 123K
640 x 480 - 110K

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    Looks awesome Rayman, great job. Your kids liked it so much they wanted to ride it! I bet you'll have it racing along lines in no time. Please share some videos of your progress. Don't make us beg!
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Rayman - great bot and idea!

Love the Manta! Is there more info about that project somewhere on the Forums?
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,147
    edited 2016-01-11 14:19
    Thanks. Manta is a big board with lots of stuff on it, kind of a kitchen sink...

Here's some info on it:
    http://www.rayslogic.com/Propeller/Products/Manta/Manta_ProductBrief.pdf

Adding servo motor support was an afterthought.
    Requires running jumper wires from right side to left side of the board.
    Glad I did it though...
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Wow Rayman! Amazing board. Thanks for the pdf! Printed a copy to study in detail. Are you selling these?
    edited 2016-01-11 19:23
    Yes, but I'm not trying very hard to advertise...

I have many software examples, but some things still need a lot of work.
    Still need to be able to go to and from jpg compression and save to full size SD card.
    There are other drivers that could use improvement too...
  • Nice robot and really nice board Rayman, did you say there is support for a kitchen sink, I can't think of anything else I would need.
    edited 2016-01-13 21:34
    Thanks. I'm really happy with the way Manta turned out. Only down side is that it takes a long time to assemble and test...

Also, although I have test programs to test all the components separately, I don't yet have a good demo program that
    shows all the capabilities...

But, I've started to use these boards for some of my personal projects and it's working out nicely...
    One project is connection to FLIR Lepton infrared camera. Lets me show high quality preview on LCD and save to SD when button pushed.
    I've got another one doing home automation, working the X10 compatible lighting by connecting to a hacked wireless Firecracker module.
    That one is working nicely too, but could use code improvements when I get time.