Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can't download Hoverfly OPEN update client — Parallax Forums

Can't download Hoverfly OPEN update client

I'm building an ELEV-8 and am trying to download the update client from Hoverfly. I get a 404 error. Tried different browsers, no help.
I know this kit is discontinued . . what's the story about the controller board. Was it originally programmed from the factory, because I can't get it to turn any of the motors.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Are you starting on this page?

https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200136586-User-Guides-and-Software

Upper right should get you to the correct pages.
  • FireNWater wrote: »

I know this kit is discontinued . . what's the story about the controller board. Was it originally programmed from the factory, because I can't get it to turn any of the motors.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

The controller was programmed at HoverFly. The firmware in Binary format is available, but it is not open source. The new Parallax Flight Controller will be open source, but probably not be available until Q2 2016. You can purchase one with the new ELEV8 V3.

https://www.parallax.com/product/80300

• FireNWaterFireNWater Posts: 93
    edited 2015-12-17 00:03
    Publison wrote: »
    Are you starting on this page?

https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200136586-User-Guides-and-Software

Upper right should get you to the correct pages.
    OK, I follow the links to the setup client 1.5V and get a 404 error.
    http://www.hoverflyupdate.com/updateClient/publish.htm
    If anyone has the installer or knows another site I can download it from, please send me a PM.
    Thanks!!
    After a bit of RTFM I got the motors spinning so I should be able to fly my ELEV-8.
    Can anyone tell me if updated firmware will be worth the hassle of tracking it down if I keep getting 404 errors on Hoverfly's website?
    Can this controller be reprogrammed with new, open source control software?
    Thanks!!
    After a bit of RTFM I got the motors spinning so I should be able to fly my ELEV-8.
    Can anyone tell me if updated firmware will be worth the hassle of tracking it down if I keep getting 404 errors on Hoverfly's website?
    Thanks!!

The link you gave works fine for me. Not sure what the problem is.
    There really has been no new work for the firmware. I believe it is the same firmware since day one on the ELEV8.

Thanks!!

You can reprogram the Controller through the USB with the Propeller Tool, but I don't think there is any fully developed software available. There have been bit and pieces written, but not a final product IIRC.
  • The QuadX Open code I posted here in the forums works well. It's not self-leveling like the new Elev8-V3 board, but that's because the Hoverfly board only has a gyro. Additional sensors are needed for auto-level.
  • JasonDorie wrote: »
    The QuadX Open code I posted here in the forums works well. It's not self-leveling like the new Elev8-V3 board, but that's because the Hoverfly board only has a gyro. Additional sensors are needed for auto-level.

I knew there was some out there, (written by the best!) but I could not find it in a hurry.
    Thanks Jason.

• Publison wrote: »
    FireNWater wrote: »
    Thanks!!
    The link you gave works fine for me. Not sure what the problem is.
    There really has been no new work for the firmware. I believe it is the same firmware since day one on the ELEV8.
    Still getting the 404 error on both Edge and Chrome. I'll try a different computer later. Thanks for checking . .
  • It's been a while, but if you have issues with it, bring them up in that thread or PM me - I'm happy to help. Others have used it though, so I know it works. :)
    OK, sweet. I'm on the road this week, but my V2 is basically done and ready for test flight when I get back.
    Is it safe to say that I can replace the Hoverfly code with your open-source code? I read on another thread that you wrote the code for the V3 flight controller so I was hoping that Parallax would maintain a branch of open-source code for the V2 flight controller. I don't know how many V2's are out in the wild to make that project worth your while.
    Will the V3 flight controller be a drop-in replacement for the V2 flight controller (after I drop my credit card, of course)?
  • Parallax never had the source for the Hoverfly code - they weren't comfortable opening it up, so my version is the only alternative I know of that's available, but it's not officially supported either. The V3 is just the quad / the controller is completely new from the ground up, and the Hoverfly software wouldn't be compatible with it or vice versa. Totally different sensors, pinouts, and so on.

You can replace theirs with mine with no harm. They might feel a little different, but should be close. If you don't like mine you can upload theirs again at any tim using their client, or probably even using the propeller tool to just upload the image.

When the V3 boards are available next year, yes it should be a drop-in replacement, and it's a much better board - significantly more capable hardware and software, and it's open source so you'll be able to learn from the code.

J
    . . [snip]. . the controller is completely new from the ground up, and the Hoverfly software wouldn't be compatible with it or vice versa. Totally different sensors, pinouts, and so on.

You can replace theirs with mine with no harm. They might feel a little different, but should be close. If you don't like mine you can upload theirs again at any tim using their client, or probably even using the propeller tool to just upload the image.. . [snip]. .
    I understand that the two boards are different hardware-wise and require different software. I just wanted to confirm that once I replace the V2 software, the entire board is now open-source.

• The hardware has always been documented, but they were tight-lipped with the software. Mine is totally open, and hopefully readable. You are free to use it however you like.
    Thanks, Jason. I'd like to use it for world domination . . . but, baby steps . . .
    I'll probably swap out the software once I get a few proving flights on it. One thing I'd like to change is to go with Futaba S-Bus for the radio link. I couldn't find Futaba S-Bus in the OBEX, but I've seen a couple written in C for the Arduino. Hopefully I would be able to port one to run on a cog.
    Is there a dedicated ELEV-8 forum? Where do most of the ELEV-8 owners go to discuss mods and projects? I did a search for the ELEV-8 before purchasing and couldn't find many hits on the inter-tubes.
  • Here on the robotics forum is where most of the Elev-8 discussions are, so it's fine to post here.

I have an S-BUS receiver object written for the Elev8-FC. It's in C, but the driver part of it is PASM, and it should be pretty simple to get it working in Spin (the driver code is in a Spin file). The output range is 2x that of the RC receiver object, so you'd just need to divide all the outputs by 2 to make them work in the QuadX code.

Check the GitHub for the SBus receiver code:
    https://github.com/parallaxinc/Flight-Controller/tree/master/Firmware-C
    I have an S-BUS receiver object written for the Elev8-FC.
    Jason, you rock!! Having an S-Bus object is going to open up a lot of projects for me. 18 channels on one wire - woot!!
    If I'm running QuadX with S-bus, will the other pins that were previously R/C inputs on the V2 board be opened up for both input and output? Would I be able to use those pins to drive servos or communicate with other sensors? Are the unused ESC pins also available for input / output using QuadX?
  • On the Elev8 FC those pins would be general purpose. I suspect on the Hoverfly board they're single direction because of level shifters. The only way to know for sure would be check the schematic or try it and find out. They certainly become available, I'm just not sure if the input pins could be used as outputs.
  • Any idea when the FC will be available by itself? I know you said "next year" but how soon? January 4th? :-)
  • That I don't know for sure. The initial run is bundled because of limited supply.