Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Image, wireless, eeprom and internet — Parallax Forums

Image, wireless, eeprom and internet

Hello everyone.
I recently finished my Egg Incubator + Thermobox with food and water automation (Cost of about 55euro including 60 day electricity compared to starting price of 90euro just for manual 16 egg turning.) Since this went very well I thought why not make an agricultural machine?
Yet I am having some problems. I used a character lcd 16x2 which was great because the incubator was on autopilot and that meant i didnt do anything. I want to know how to connect the propeller with a VGA port and display nice UI to a 17in screen. Has anyone got a wiring scheme and some simple C code.
Another point is the range. Since farms are not small I need some type of connection between the props. I have a pair of xbees s2 yet I dont know how I should program them using the XCTU (If there is someone willing to show it to me I would be thankful). A solution to that programming is using xbee s1, but I am not sure if this is a solution. Bluetooth maybe? Using xbees i want also to programm the props, an update for example. Is it possible?
Eeprom is about the data saving, for example a statistical analysis of the sunlight per day or the rainning season. How to write and read and re-write etc?
And of course internet. I know it needs an ethernet of wifi connection yet how to connect and what it takes to do this? A simple page with a UI that will inform the farmer for the basics i.e. if it is rainning, if the food in the barn in low etc. I was thinking that the Rpi would be an easier at least for setting it to a 192 page, yet i have to make the Rpi and prop router to communicate.

thank you!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2015-11-25 18:30
    If you want internet connectivity, why not use the same hardware for connecting the Propellers. Use an RN-XV module. It can serve up a webpage with status information as well as transfer information between Props. The <learn.parallax.com> website has library routines and examples for reading and writing eeprom.

I'm not sure whether Propeller C currently supports VGA displays. Perhaps someone else will comment. Spin does support all sorts of displays as well as the RN-XV. For wiring diagrams, look at the schematics for any of the Propeller boards with VGA connectors like the Propeller Board of Education or the Propeller Project Board USB. The schematics are posted on the product pages for these boards. The Board of Education also has a socket for the XBEE which works with the RN-XV as well.
  • Can I communicate from the coordinator prop with an arduino via xbee or raspberry? so the props are gathering info and then all of that is transmitted to a different platform and to the internet?