Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropBasic — Parallax Forums

PropBasic

How do I get started in PropBasic?

Comments

• I think that you already stated that you have downloaded the latest version.

I can recommend Viewport for editing/debugging based on what you are working on. I have yet to try SimpleIDE

However, something's not right with the latest version of Viewport because PropBasic programs won't run.

My version is 4.8.2 which works fine.

Maxwin has already reported the problem to One Robot but there has been no response, possibly because Hanno, the author is not yet back in action following his cycling mishap.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2015-11-23 00:15
    I use simpleIDE, it is not directly supported but can be made to work.
    I have a post that explains what needs done, I'll see if I can turn it up.

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/156252

Bean
  • Thanks, I have had problems finding all the info.
  • Beavis3215Beavis3215 Posts: 229
    edited 2015-11-29 02:03
    I am having problems with "how to use propbasic in simpleide" The last step, changing bstc.exe to propbasic.bat I cant get to work. Will this file work with the latest version of simpleide? All the files are in the folder (at least windows thinks they are there, I tried recopying them and I am overwriting them), but I don't have the option of replacing anything.
    1920 x 1080 - 146K
    1920 x 1080 - 161K
    What specifically can't you get to work ?
    Getting the files in the folder ?
    Changing the setting on the dialog box ?
    It doesn't compile ?

Please give more details...

Bean
    Oh and you need to download bstc.exe and put it in the propeller-gcc/bin directory too.

http://www.fnarfbargle.com/bst/bstc/Latest/

Bean
  • I was doing a step by step following your propbasic using simpleide, and I cant change the spin compiler setting from bstc.exe to propbasic.bat. The screenshots are what I see in spin folders, and browse in spin folders.
    If you are hitting the "browse" button, it will only show .exe files, so you need to type in propbasic.bat at the bottom of the browse dialog box.

Is that the problem ? If not, what happens when you type it in ? Does it not save it ?

Bean
  • The 2nd screenshot is what you see after browse. I can type in propbasic.bat at the bottom center, which will change the first screenshot path from startspin.exe to propbasic.bat, but I cant change what is at the bottom right of the second screenshot, bstc.exe. If this is normal, than I guess I'm ok. Do you have a simple propbasic program I can run to use as a test. I'm starting with propbasic cold turkey, so I wont know is the interpreter works until I write my first program. Would be nice to iron this out beforehand. My overall problem is that what I see diverges from the step by step, compounded by the fact that I'm not sure what is supposed to happen afterwards. I'm assuming the end result is that the only difference will be that simpleide will be able to use propbasic code with no visual difference.
  • I seem to remember sample source code being included with the PropBASIC download but I could be wrong.

I wish I could help with SimpleIDE but I am very happy with ViewPort because I find the built-in scope and logic analyser to be extremely useful.

I am on the road right now but would be happy to send you copies of source that I have collected. Some good stuff can be found on this forum.

Here is a simple program that toggles a pin.
    DEVICE P8X32A
    PROGRAM Start
    Start:
      TOGGLE 15
      PAUSE 1000
      GOTO Start
    END

Bean
  • pmrobertpmrobert Posts: 669
    edited 2015-12-04 15:31
    Beavis, I ran across this PropBasic intro from Nuts&Volts and thought of your quest to understand it better: http://197.14.51.10:81/pmb/collections/SCIENCE ET TECHNOLOGIE/nuts and volts/2010/Nuts and Volts 2010-03.pdf
    Some of the limitations noted in that article have been eliminated or changed, consult the changelog for details.
  • "I think it’s safe to say that more than a few Parallax customers were
    disappointed when the Propeller arrived and couldn’t be programmed in
    BASIC. Like me, many of these customers had invested years learning and
    working with BASIC, and a good portion of that group had a lot of time
    with embedded projects thanks to PBASIC. Now, I’m not being critical.
    Spin is okay with me and I’m quite comfortable with it. That said, I’ve been
    programming in one form of BASIC or another for almost 30 years, and that
    kind-of makes BASIC a little bit hard to give up."

Amen!

I may be a devout BASIC programmer but I have always aimed for the most economical code-size, clock-cycles, development time.

Thank you for the N&V article. A couple of the code examples already helped me out.

I sure hope PropBASIC will be compatible with the P2.

• There are several other N&V articles PropBasic specific - really, really good stuff. I hope Bean sees fit to develop a version for the P2 as well. One thing that might help with even the P1 version is somehow a cross-platform IDE being specifically configured for PB - with debugging, accurate error reporting by source line even when using libs, versioning, code folding, etc., etc... That will likely require someone with experience in that. I've looked at several potential platforms (from Eclipse to Scite to SynEdit/Lazarus, EditPlus, etc. and it looks fairly daunting to add the wish list. I can do grunt work within my capabilities!
  • I have tried to locate the other N&V issues regarding PropBASIC without success. Do you know the specific dates?
  • Mickster, I thought there were at least two more but I'm afraid I may be incorrect. https://www.parallax.com/downloads/propeller-spin-zone-articles-and-code is one resource, that's all I can find on my phone (with little patience and less acute eyesight). Jonnymac (Jon Williams) is the author of these and (some of? All of?) the documentation associated with Propbasic. You may want to consider taking a couple of hours and perusing the PB threads that are still on this forum. Lots of good stuff in there.