Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Color Space Converter — Parallax Forums

Color Space Converter

cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
edited 2015-11-05 11:56 in Propeller 2
I worked the Prop2-Hot color space converter into the current Prop2 and improved the angle resolution.
dat		org

qfrac	##3_579_545,##80_000_000
		getqx	x
		setmodf	x		'set NTSC colorburst

setmody	##$00_00_00_80	'lift signal to midpoint
		setmodi	##$00_00_00_00
		setmodq	##$00_00_40_00	'some blue gain

setmod	#%11_1_0000	'YIQ mode (composite)

setxdac	##$0000FF00	'output a blue pixel

waitint			'wait forever

x		long	0

colorspace_fast.jpg

Here I slowed it down so you could see some steps.

colorspace_slow.jpg

This converter uses a 5-stage CORDIC rotator that is fed 11-bit (I,Q) values and an 8-bit angle. Since we don't have PLLs on this Prop2, a separate 32-bit NCO drives the angle.

Aside from being able to convert RGB to any analog color space, this circuit can be used as a general-purpose modulator for AM, FM, and PSK. For AM, just change the blue byte in the example above to control the amplitude. For FM, use SETMODF. For PSK, use SETMODI/SETMODQ to alter the phase (and amplitude).

I hope to get an NTSC screen running tomorrow, to make sure this is all viable without having a real PLL. I know the colorburst is okay, but it must be correlated to a 227.5-cycle scan line that is counted in main clock cycles. It will have to change between +0/+1 cycles to maintain colorburst phase. This is a different way than we did it before.
549 x 462 - 110K
781 x 614 - 180K

Comments

• Nice one Chip! :)
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,962
    Do you think P2 could do the full resolution NTSC?

(Think it's something like 720x480 pixels).

Anyway, I think this is nice, if nothing else so that P2 can do everything P1 can do and better.
    I can see the general purpose modulator being very useful.

BTW: Do you think P2 could decode NTSC?
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,255
    edited 2015-11-05 17:03
    Nice!

Honestly, easy radio modulation might be very attractive in some circles. And with the nice DAC output, should be cleaner, easier to produce.

What is the conversion time? And I guess that gets right to Rayman's question.

The hot chip got this done pretty fast, and it had a double buffered waitvid. Once, I stuffed 2560 pixels into an NTSC scanline just for grins. It did it at 80Mhz! Way overkill obviously for SDTV, but not so much for component HDTV.

• Cool! I'm guessing it can also be used for IQ modulation in general? Could it be made to also work in reverse somehow as a demodulator?

Does each cog have one or is it in the hub or the pins? How many flops/LEs is it? How much die area does it take up?
  • lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2015-11-05 17:14
    AM, FM and PSK caught my eye. I just became interested in wireless communication. P2 is going to be amazing.
    Is this one byte for each of Y,I,Q?
  • Awesome news Chip :D really looking forward to playing with this one!
  • I know this is aimed at colorburst, but what could the frequency range be?

All the ingredients for QAM modulation in hardware. WOW. can't wait to try! Maybe add in the HAM radio budget and get a board. Hmmm, getting to winter... if I sell the lawn mower....
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    rabaggett wrote: »
    I know this is aimed at colorburst, but what could the frequency range be?

All the ingredients for QAM modulation in hardware. WOW. can't wait to try! Maybe add in the HAM radio budget and get a board. Hmmm, getting to winter... if I sell the lawn mower....

The top frequency is the Nyquist limit of the main clock, or half the main clock.
    Rayman wrote: »
    Is this one byte for each of Y,I,Q?

No, you maintain RGB data and it does the modulation based on some signed colorspace coefficients you provide. This is a 3x3 matrix, so nine values are needed.
  • @rabaggett -

Thought I was one of the few who even spoke about QAM ... Yes, I had mentioned the possibility of QAM early on as a very efficient communication method.
    edited 2015-11-06 14:04
    I got the modulator working with the streamer.

I made some new streamer modes, too, just for video:

1) RFBYTE as 2:3:2 RGB made into 8:8:8:0 RGB
    2) RFBYTE as 8 colors / 32 luma levels into 8:8:8:0 RGB
    3) RFBYTE as 256 luma levels into 8:8:8:0 RGB, 8 different sub modes provide basic colors
    4) RFWORD as 5:6:5 RGB made into 8:8:8:0 RGB
    5) RFLONG as 8:8:8:x RGB made into 8:8:8:0 RGB

I'm sorry I haven't documented all this yet. I've been making small enhancements here and there, but I'll get this explained soon.

Here is an 8bpp 256 x 192 image that I got the Prop2 to display tonight onto an NTSC monitor:

bird_8pp_256_x_192.jpg

Here is some video waveform that the colorspace converter is generating to make the NTSC signal:

modulator.jpg

It turned out that correlating a colorburst signal and a pixel clock was no problem, after all. With 32-bit NCO's you can really mesh things well.

In NTSC, there is a color carrier of 3,579,545 Hz and there are 227.5 cycles of the carrier per complete scan line. That comes to 3,579,545 / 227.5 = 15,734.26 scan lines per second. After playing with different metrics, I found that 400 pixels is a good time divider for a scan line if your goal is 256 visible pixels. That frequency is 15,734.26 * 400 = 6,293,705.5 Hz.

By programming the NCO's with values to realize these frequencies, everything snaps beautifully into place, with the colorburst signal and pixel clock signal tightly sync'd at the start of every other scan line, keeping the colorburst ~180.00000-degrees out of phase on line refreshes (2 scan lines = 455 colorburst cycles = 800 pixel clocks). This was way easier than I had anticipated.

Here's the code:
    '*******************************
    '*  NTSC 256 x 192 x 8bpp-lut  *
    '*******************************

CON

s		= 84		'scales DAC output (s = 0..128)
      r		= s * 78 / 128	'adjusts for modulator expansion

DAT		org

'
    ' Setup
    '
    		qfrac	##6_293_705_5,##80_000_000_0*2
    		getqx	x
    		setxfrq	x			'set 3,579,545 Hz / 227.5 cycles per line * 400 pixels (256 visible pixels)

qfrac	##3_579_545,##80_000_000
    		getqx	x
    		setmodf	x			'set NTSC colorburst

setmody	mody
    		setmodi	modi
    		setmodq	modq

setmod	#%11_1_0000		'YIQ mode (composite)

rdfast	#0,##$1000-$400		'load .bmp palette into lut
    		mov	x,#0
    		rep	@.end,#$100
    		rflong	y
    		shl	y,#8
    		wrlut	y,x
    		incmod	x,#$100	wc
    .end

rdfast	##256*192/64,##$1000	'set rdfast to wrap on bitmap

'
    ' Field loop
    '
    field           mov	x,#34			'top blanks
    		call	#blank

mov     x,#192			'set visible lines
    line	        call	#hsync			'do horizontal sync
    		xcont	m_rf,#0			'visible line (rfword rgb16 (5:6:5)
    		djnz    x,#line           	'another line?

mov     x,#28			'bottom blanks
    		call	#blank

mov	x,#6			'high vertical syncs
    		call	#vsynch

mov	x,#6			'low vertical syncs
    		call	#vsyncl

mov	x,#6			'high vertical syncs
    		call	#vsynch

jmp     #field                  'loop

'
    ' Subroutines
    '
    blank		call	#hsync			'blank lines
    		xcont	m_vi,#0
    		djnz	x,#blank
    		ret

hsync		xcont	m_bs,#1			'horizontal sync
    		xcont	m_sn,#2
    		xcont	m_bc,#1
    		xcont	m_cb,c_cb
    		xcont	m_bv,#1
    		ret

vsynch		xcont	m_bs,#1			'vertical sync high
    		xcont	m_hs,#2
    		xcont	m_hl,#1
    		djnz	x,#vsynch
    		ret

vsyncl		xcont	m_bs,#1			'vertical sync low
    		xcont	m_hl,#2
    		xcont	m_hs,#1
    		djnz	x,#vsyncl
    		ret

'
    ' Initialized data
    '
    mody		long	((+38*s/128) & $FF) << 24 + ((+75*s/128) & $FF) << 16 + ((+15*s/128) & $FF) << 8 + (110*s/128 & $FF)
    modi		long	((+76*r/128) & $FF) << 24 + ((-35*r/128) & $FF) << 16 + ((-41*r/128) & $FF) << 8 + (100*s/128 & $FF)
    modq		long	((+27*r/128) & $FF) << 24 + ((-67*r/128) & $FF) << 16 + ((+40*r/128) & $FF) << 8 + 128

m_bs		long	$CF000000+50		'before sync
    m_sn		long	$CF000000+29		'sync
    m_bc		long	$CF000000+7		'before colorburst
    m_cb		long	$CF000000+18		'colorburst
    m_bv		long	$CF000000+40		'before visible
    m_vi		long	$CF000000+256		'visible

m_rf		long	$7F000000+256		'visible rflong 8bpp lut

m_hs		long	$CF000000+20		'vertical sync short
    m_hl		long	$CF000000+130		'vertical sync long

c_cb		long	$687800_01		'colorburst reference color
    c_vw		long	$FFFF00_00		'white
    c_vb		long	$000000_00		'black

x		long	0
    y		long	0

'
    ' Bitmap
    '
    		orgh	$1000 - $436	'justify pixels at $1000, pallete at $1000-$400
    		file	"bitmap.bmp"

1328 x 747 - 295K
    1328 x 747 - 279K
    edited 2015-11-06 14:06
    Very nice! Clearly better than can be done with P1 by itself.

Is there a way to use LUT or cog ram to show an indexed color image?
    2R-3G-2B for 8 bit color is nice, but could be much better as 8-bit indexed color bitmap...

Wait... Maybe I should look at your code first... I just saw this:

Did "file" directive just get added to PNut?
  • @Beau

Yes, We could easily modulate faster than than the data could be delivered and stick it on UTP or coax for quite a long run. Decoding though, is going to be a bottleneck..

The Amateur radio implications though... WOW.

Prop SDR anyone?
    edited 2015-11-06 14:16
    Rayman wrote: »
    Very nice! Clearly better than can be done with P1 by itself.

Is there a way to use LUT or cog ram to show an indexed color image?
    2R-3G-2B for 8 bit color is nice, but could be much better as 8-bit indexed color bitmap...

Wait... Maybe I should look at your code first... I just saw this:

Did "file" directive just get added to PNut?

The "file" directive has been there forever. I hadn't used it in a long time and I was glad to see that it still works and hadn't been inadvertently damaged, amid all the changes.

I would have done a 24bpp image, but my 'paint' program packs the pixels as 3 bytes per, so I would have had to make a decompressor. 8bpp with pallete was just was simpler. If I could get a hold a 256 x 192 image at 16bpp, I could use that straight in.
    edited 2015-11-06 14:29
    If you post a photo, I can convert it to a 565, 16-bpp file tomorrow...
    I already have code for that at home from playing with the 4.3" LCD...

This will be very nice if the same 16-bit buffer could be displayed on LCD and NTSC monitor.
    Makes P2 system on a chip for portable gaming...
  • That circuit really is nice. Thanks Chip.

• Chip,
    You can get paint.net for free, and it is a much more robust and featureful program that supports more file formats. You could use it to save out in 32bit TGA format, or even better use DDS format and specifically get XRGB (0888 32bit) and RGB (565 16bit) in one of the most easy to read forms.

http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

Also, here is the DDS format information: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb943991(v=vs.85).aspx
    edited 2015-11-06 17:12
    Wow, Microsoft made that about as complicated as possible... They probably think bmp format is too simple...
    Still, looks like a pretty nice path.
  • Roy, this program is GREAT. Thanks for linking it. I actually use the Smile out of the little paint program in windows. It's simple, and often, I need simple. Other tools, like GIMP, etc... are nice, but messy. Takes a bit to get in, remember, do it, get back out and onto other things.

Nice little UX touches in this one. (He's an Apple type guy, hiding out in MS land, it seems :) )

• Rayman,
    Documentation is hard, in reality you just need two structures, that are rigidly defined, to read any DDS that is in any pixel format. However, most of the time you don't need the DX10 header structure (it's trivial to tell also) and can get by with just the main header.

BMPs are "simple" except for all the exceptions, which come about depending on what program you use to save the BMP.

potatohead,
    I have been using Paint.Net since it first came out in 2004. It's got a massive library of plugins available for just about anything, and it just works.
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    That looks great Chip, P2 seems to be shaping up very nicely :D
  • Yes, that library is insane! I'm surprised I didn't bump into this thing. Seems I can replace a pile of old things I've kept around for specifics.

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    cgracey wrote: »
    Here is an 8bpp 256 x 192 image that I got the Prop2 to display tonight onto an NTSC monitor:

Wow.
    This will work equally well on PAL too ?
    .. and Component Video ?

I think small composite monitors are going to be around for a long time, as they connect so readily to simple cameras.
    As the 'Big Iron' parts move to support HDMI, this will be a quite significant niche for Prop 2 - Vehicles, security and monitoring are all growth areas.

• If it's got the various modes the "hot" circuit had, getting component, etc... output is a matter of changing the mode with the setmod instruction.

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    cgracey wrote: »
    This converter uses a 5-stage CORDIC rotator that is fed 11-bit (I,Q) values and an 8-bit angle. Since we don't have PLLs on this Prop2, a separate 32-bit NCO drives the angle.

How much Logic does this add ?
    Will this go into every COG ?

edited 2015-11-06 18:57
    I wonder if DDS is going to have the right byte order for P2 565 16-bit color. I think it could turn out to be backwards...
  • So, if this fits, is there also enough room to upgrade the 16x16 multiplier (MUL, MULS) to a 32x32 multiplier?
  • So, if this fits, is there also enough room to upgrade the 16x16 multiplier (MUL, MULS) to a 32x32 multiplier?

The problem there is that you would end up with a 64-bit result.
  • Rayman wrote: »
    I wonder if DDS is going to have the right byte order for P2 565 16-bit color. I think it could turn out to be backwards...

DDS is little endian. Should be the same byte order.