Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hacking the SF02 laser range finder — Parallax Forums

Hacking the SF02 laser range finder

Hi everyone.
Parallax has done a great job promoting the SF02 laser range finder with Ken, Chris and the team adding lots of technical information about using this amazing sensor. But let's face it, the real fun of electronics is getting deep into those places that the manufacturer doesn't want you to go, and being something of an anarchist, I've left the door open for anyone (at their own risk of course) to get into the core of the SF02 and take a look at the internal workings. Most of this hacking can be done through the USB port, if you know the not-so-secret password, but there's also places to look at the signals using a low speed oscilloscope.
The idea behind this hackability is to extend the learning opportunities and give a better understanding of how a laser range finder works. You can find more information on Hack-a-Day or on the LightWare website.
Have fun!

Comments

• Very cool.

Thanks for the information. I'll have to try some of the safer hacks.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-10-19 15:06
    My birthday is coming up. I expect an SF02 in my mailbox soon. :)

Can the same be done with the SF10 series?
  • All our products are hackable to some extent but the SF02 is special. It is designed as an educational platform as well as being a seriously powerful sensor.
  • Good to know. Thanks!
  • Laser Developer,
    A little off-topic, but I am really struggling to find a cheap reliable red laser detector module.
    I wish to detect a red laser line to implement this navigation scheme on a small scale;
    http://www.hizook.com/blog/2015/05/17/valves-lighthouse-tracking-system-may-be-big-news-robotics
    Any ideas or thoughts greatly appreciated.
    "vasbyt die Bokke"
  • @macrobeak, that's an interesting project. Any standard photodiode will detect red laser light. The problem you face may be about improving the SNR (signal-to-noise-ratio) of the whole system rather than just the laser detector itself. This is normally done using optical filters (to cut out some of the background light) and modulation on the laser (lock-in amplifier). These things are always a little tricky :).
  • It may be a bit obvious but I have been very successful in getting the absolute basic principles and design on virtually anything through the US patent files
    (or any foreign country files)---all patent offices require full disclosure of the workings of the subject under review for patent----The laser range finders are a good example and literally hundreds of patent records provide unlimited design effort (much of it quickly obsoleted by following improvements) that can be used by anyone as long as you don't infringe on the patent rights of the holder. I spent 5 years on my idea before I had the courage to apply for the patent---it took 28 months after that but It was granted in full---I have been experimenting for 2 years with modifying an old IBM Cross writing pad that uses a pen that transmits a ready signal (455 kHz) when it is depressed for writing on the pad---they can be bought on E-Bay for $40-$50----My design uses the Cross Pad area (letter size) that I have scaled to my shop floor (10 x 20 feet)--- the original Cross pad has a DB15 output that I converted to USB 2 to feed to my BasicStamp2 program---so far, I have had LIMITED success with the Cross pad in my lap and scrolling the Cross pen around the pad sending through my BS2 program and guiding my shop floor robot around with pen motion on pad----Much of the frustration originates with my software and obligatory crashes (of program and contrary InfraRed guided robot)!! Lots of fun, but quickly found I can't use this thing while I am using my ham radio, the 455 kHz Cross pen signal really messes with the 455 kHz IF of my ham receiver)!
    If I can show some signs this thing is practical, I will post more details but no time soon as it is simply too unpredictable---my best wish for success in all your projects!