Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Power Distribution Board on ELEV8 V2 — Parallax Forums

Power Distribution Board on ELEV8 V2

TomWolvesTomWolves Posts: 29
edited 2015-12-26 10:08 in Robotics
Hello folks, I am new to building Multi rotors. However I do fly UAV's, I want to build the "Elev8 - V2 , in doing so I bought a book titled "Build your Own Quadcopter", in this book the author builds a ELEV8 and uses instructions from Parallax ELEV8-V2, the author uses a "Power Distribution Board instead of the "power distribution harness", BUT!!! he uses the bottom chassis plate to attach the Power Distribution Board and motor booms first. In the Parallax instructions they attach the motor/booms esc's to the top chassis plate 1st and then the bottom chassis plate last. My question is could someone give me advise on how I can attach the Power distribution board on the right way. Thank you very much for your time! I appreciate immensely.
Forgive me if I post this in the wrong category as I don't see multi-rotor or ELEV8 categories.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-10-12 19:24
    Are you using a third party Power Distribution Board? You should not need anything extra with the Rev 2 kit, as it already has an enhanced harness.

The book was written before the ELEV-8 version 2 came out.

I collaborated on the instructions for the V2, and have built two from the instructions, so I know it works. :)
  • BTW. Welcome to the forums!
  • Thank you for the reply Publison, well the power distribution board is from Hobby King, that the author of the book recommends to make it easier and neater ( less congestion of wires), I was just going by the book as this will be my first build. I know the kit comes with everything, and yes your right too that the book must be out of date. Just seemed to me the Power distribution board would be the way to go!, perhaps not. I am still in the investigating stage. Thank you! I appreciate your help.
  • Thank you! I hope I posted in the right place, yes, I am new to this one! good to meet you Publison. How come they don't have a category for ELEV8 building ?
  • Welcome to the Forums and thanks for supporting Parallax! Power distribution boards can be wonderful - so much so that we at Parallax have custom designed one for the ELEV-8 v3!

But have not regrets, if you do wish to use the power distribution board instead of the wire harness included (both are good options), I can think of a few ways of mounting it, dependent largely on the size of the board. If it can fit, I would recommend mounting it between the Flight Control mount plate and the top chassis plates within the aluminium standoffs. You may be able to bolt it to one of the aforementioned plates, depending on hole layout (and you would need longer machine screws than come in the kit), or you could use double-sided foam tape. You'll also need to drill out a larger holes in the top chassis plate to feed the ESC power cables through to the power distribution board - be careful to well support the chassis plate while drilling - the long narrow slots are somewhat brittle. The battery can then be mounted to the underside of the chassis. If the power distribution board doesn't fit on top, you could flip everything I just suggested and put the power distribution board underneath the chassis.

Best of luck with the build and keep the questions coming!
  • Thanks for the reply Kyle. I am , or wanting to use the Power Distribution board that the author mentioned in his book "Build Your own Quadcopter" , but apparently that book is out dated, as everything is put together differently! I like the way you simplify the ELEV8. This will be my first build at any electronics and I look for the challenge. Again thank you for your advise.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-10-12 20:17
    TomWolves wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply Publison, well the power distribution board is from Hobby King, that the author of the book recommends to make it easier and neater ( less congestion of wires), I was just going by the book as this will be my first build. I know the kit comes with everything, and yes your right too that the book must be out of date. Just seemed to me the Power distribution board would be the way to go!, perhaps not. I am still in the investigating stage. Thank you! I appreciate your help.

I have also read the the book, and I learned a lot from it. The beauty of the ELEV-8 is that it can be configured to your hearts desire.